PP black & white CC

freeze3kgt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
trying to get some more ideas on how to make nicer looking Black and white photo's i'll post original and pp'd and feel free to show me your rendition

my main reason for wanting this picture to be black and white was the shadows from the fence. i thought they would make a nice contrast to her pale skin.. but when i turn up the contrast it ends up blowing out her skin to being super white, and i tryed to use the burn tool around the shadows but that just looked silly to me. Also i try'ed to soften her skin up a little but keep the eyes sharp any advice would be welcome. Thanks
4668711094_e9e080ca57_b.jpg
52810007.jpg

The first question I wanna ask is how are you converting?

elements 8

the convert to black and white option .. i have little skill in the pp department .. i told myself no more pping until i get better at shooting but i cant help myself.. i guess its the new to camera shooting thing in me :(

Yeah you might wanna try other methods besides just hitting the B&W and doing the whole AUTO mode, play with the sliders. Look up B&W using calculations amongst other methods of conversion.

Its a little dark but its about a 5 minute edit. What do you think?
EDIT.jpg

in the colored original photo the reflection of the fence's shadow on her face seems annoying but in the B&W it seems interesting,so i guess i llike the B&W photo mroe.

My 2 cents...

Using Gimp and the original color image; I selected "Auto... Color Enhance" from the "Colors" menu. Then I selected "Brightness-Contrast" from the "Colors" menu... I adjusted the contrast +20. Next I selected "De-saturate", also from the "Colors" menu and used the "Average" option... Finally I went to the "Filters" menu and selected "decor" then "Add Border"....

This was the result...

52810007-BW-edit.jpg

cool thanks for advice i'll mess around with it some more!

sorry for double post :S

in the colored original photo the reflection of the fence's shadow on her face seems annoying but in the B&W it seems interesting,so i guess i llike the B&W photo mroe.

got the idea for the shadow things from .... america's next top model, I really do hate reality shows but my fiance the one in the photo is in love with it. and to be honest they take some awesome looking pictures so its not all that bad of a show for both of us to watch together i guess.

but i agree in the color it is very annoying/distracting to me also but i was picturing the photo in black and white while i was taking it.. just cant seem to get it to look like it did i my head

FWIW, I like Bus's edit.

I even kind of like the border, and I usually hate those.

In my opinion the original needs re-shooting before any sort of PP is worthwhile.

** I don't like how the top of her head has been chopped/cropped out the picture
** She seems very close to the camera - I find it hard to rest my eyes on the picture.
** I think this shot would be improved by taking a couple of steps further back from the model
** I don't know if it's just my eyes - but the focus doesn't seem quite there?

I do however think the Model is Gorrrrgeous and the lighting isn't bad either, maybe a little bright, but not bad. :)

In my opinion the original needs re-shooting before any sort of PP is worthwhile.

** I don't like how the top of her head has been chopped/cropped out the picture
** She seems very close to the camera - I find it hard to rest my eyes on the picture.
** I think this shot would be improved by taking a couple of steps further back from the model
** I don't know if it's just my eyes - but the focus doesn't seem quite there?

I do however think the Model is Gorrrrgeous and the lighting isn't bad either, maybe a little bright, but not bad. :)

thanks for the cc i was thinking about the shadows and waiting for her to look at me before i was thinking about composition of the photo.. if i had it to do over again i would pay more attention to where her head.. i have a hard time multitasking and was trying to concentrate on capturing a nice glare in her eye( she tends to squint a lot)... i was happy however to not get any of the people all crowded in the area

and the fiance says thanks for the comment about being pretty

trying to get some more ideas on how to make nicer looking Black and white photo's i'll post original and pp'd and feel free to show me your rendition

my main reason for wanting this picture to be black and white was the shadows from the fence. i thought they would make a nice contrast to her pale skin.. but when i turn up the contrast it ends up blowing out her skin to being super white, and i tryed to use the burn tool around the shadows but that just looked silly to me. Also i try'ed to soften her skin up a little but keep the eyes sharp any advice would be welcome. Thanks
4668711094_e9e080ca57_b.jpg

Let the fence shadows take care of themselves and concentrate on making her look as nice as possible. You can use masking or selections to mask/select only what you want to edit/soften/smooth.

52810007.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back