Practicing aerial captures

cgipson1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Decided to see what I could do capturing DragonFlies in flight... Handheld, light fill flash

df1.jpg

df2.jpg

df3.jpg

df4.jpg

df5.jpg

Like #2 best. Crop it to be tighter on bug. I see the tuck their little feet in when flying!

Like #2 best. Crop it to be tighter on bug. I see the tuck their little feet in when flying!

#2 is my favorite also... :) I couldn't decide whether to just crop to the dragonflies, or leave a little background. So you think a tighter crop would be more appropriate for these types of shots?

Nicely done sir. #3 is my favourite, the background is the least distracting.

#2 is my favorite also... :) I couldn't decide whether to just crop to the dragonflies, or leave a little background. So you think a tighter crop would be more appropriate for these types of shots?

Perhaps, but be careful you don't crop too much, losing sharpness. Are they cropped much already?

For #2 there is a lot of space at the bottom and at right. I would try to crop to get as many of the circles of confusion in as possible. I would probably try to place the critter to the left so it is flying into the scene more than out of it.

Nicely done sir. #3 is my favourite, the background is the least distracting.

Perhaps, but be careful you don't crop too much, losing sharpness. Are they cropped much already?

about 50% to 75% crops. I find when trying to shoot them "on the wing", I need to leave myself a little extra room.. lol!

Sparky jealous!
breath1.gif

What kind of lens are you using?

hahah... I used a lens that I normally don't take for this type of shooting.. my 70-200 2.8 VRII... It focuses so fast and accurately.. it is what makes capturing these shots possible.

Last edited:
I want to see a video of you walking around taking these photos. Must be so funny.

I want to see a video of you walking around taking these photos. Must be so funny.

Why is that, Schwettylens? Mostly I just sit down and wait for the Dragonflies to come into range... :)

Tighter crops on #2 and #3 per request

df2_tight-crop.jpg

df3_tight-crop.jpg

[h=2]"Practicing aerial captures"[/h]
Darn, I was thinking about something else entirely. I had you shooting from an airplane :)

[h=2]"Practicing aerial captures"[/h]
Darn, I was thinking about something else entirely. I had you shooting from an airplane :)

Sorry.. didn't mean to disappoint! lol! :)

Most reactions

Back