Practicing Using an External Flash... Fierce Rat Picture

Caity

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I busted out the new 430EXII and gave it a whirl... Never having used anything other than ambient light and the built in flash. At first I was confused, but I think I'm starting to "get it".

What do you think? These were taken in our basement/family room, on a recliner, ha.

And fierce as in Tyra Banks fierce... And not mean.

IMG_2050.jpg

(I love ratties! That's a beautiful baby you got there.)

Beautiful shot. To me, it looks crisp and clear, with no harsh lighting. I love it!

She's one of my 5 girls. :) I should have mentioned her name is Iris. She's always taken the best photos for me.

I bounced the flash off the ceiling and that made ALL the difference... Shutter speed at 1/200 and F stop at 5.6, ISO 200... And I have no idea what I did with the flash. Just ran it in ETTL.

Awww, I used to have 2, they were very photogenic as well. :)

What camera are you using?

I forgot to say thanks earlier, that was rude of me. Thanks for your comments!

The camera is a Canon Rebel XTi. I also have a wide angle lens cap thing on it... It's not a real lens, it screws in to your kit lens. I got it for Christmas a bit back, no idea what it is called haha. Just decided to try it out and now realize I should have been using it for a LOT of my photos, would have been awesome!

great pic of your sweet little girl.... crisp and clear... love it

Awesome photo! I have 5 rats as well, but they move too fast most of the time to get good photos of them! She's a lovely looking rat.

Thanks! Do you think I'm ready to try it out on some human subjects? I'm kind of excited... When I first tried it I just couldn't get it figured out, and I have a niggling feeling I'm still not doing it quite right... I'm setting my camera up to compensate for the flash, instead of making them work together... But if it gets the results I desire, does it matter too much if I do it that way? I suppose I will find a situation where it won't work, and then I'll be scrambling around, haha.

It's not often I find other rat lovers! I have 5 girls and a boy (who lives in his own cage, and will be getting two friends very soon. I had more, but he was younger than they were and his last buddy passed away a little less than 3 weeks ago.) I am used to having numbers in the double digits, but I'm finding the lower singles to be more desirable... And yes often they are too fast!! A reason I can hardly ever get good shots of my rabbits, haha. Just blurs! Iris, though, is a good girl, and she'll sit for me for quite a bit.

Can't say much about the quality, but love your girl. Is she a just a beige? I have three ratters, two black/white hoodeds who look identical, and a himmy :lovey
hellocopy.jpg
Just a quick snapshot of her. She used to be slow! Then she grew up :( lol

This was taken straight from the camera, I didn't crop or do any PP work besides resize it haha. I wish I had gotten more in the frame at the top, then I would have felt better about cropping it tighter. But you're right about that.

She is a beige berkshire. White tummy! :) I also have three black hoodeds, an American blue, and a PEW. Soon to add a HUGE agouti hooded boy and a rex black berkshire with dumbo ears. Nothing too "unique" but I think they are gorgeous.

Most reactions

Back