Prairie

drdan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
thegoodsleepstore.com
Growing up in the SE US (South Carolina) with the massive amount of vegetation, especially trees, it was hard for me to appreciate the prairie much at first. This may have been especially true since I was a forester for ten years. While the spaciousness of the prairie always appealed to me, it seemed pretty barren. We have gotten a lot of rain the last two months and the prairie is really green for the first time in years. I have gotten to actually like the open prairie even better than the mountains. Now that I know it better, it no longer seems featureless. I post a lot of macro shots of the prairie flowers and grasses but I think it's beautiful on all levels. Here are a few shots east of Colorado Springs from the last week or so.

A river of pink seeded grass along a wash

DSC03067re650.jpg

A green prairie in late afternoon

DSC03074re650.jpg

Evening prairie palette (after sundown)

DSC03116re650.jpg

dan,

that top pic is AWESOME. very new zealandish....beautiful colors.

md

Another interesting feature about the top picture is that the silvery appearance of some of the grass in the background is also from seed heads. The grass is actually greener and lusher than it appears, all the way to the horison.

ahhh....that first one has a surreal quality to it which I've tried to capture but always failed at. Bravo!

The first one is really great.

Have to agree with everyone, the first one is amazing 8)

yea the first one reminds me of LOTR making footage. Real nice, although the top part(sky) looks a tiny notch detached from the ground, the colours in it are just a way too different(cold, milky versus saturated greens and browns). If you had managed to get closer to the mountains and capture some of their green/brown texture, it would've helped a great deal in connecting the top and bottom parts.

Dan! Great job with the firs one! I like that grass on the first plan (?? layout??? outline?? I dunno how you call it in Eng :))

The first shot is very nice Dan. Great texture.

i just :heart: the colours at the first one...
oh - and this strange glow at the grass...it looks surrealistic...really like this one, drdan!

Gotta agree with everyone, the first one is superb but I like the others too.

very nice work drdan!

Most reactions

Back