Prayers for Angus Please

Glad to hear things are improving, challenges aside. Every time I see this thread pop up again I go "oh no..." and am glad to see there's no reason for that reaction.

Glad your baby is doing better. :hug::

So glad your baby is better. Keep us posted. Hugs and prayers.

Fantastic news!! He definitely is showing a strong will to beat this. :heart: Great to hear his numbers are better and he has gained some weight.

Keeping fingers crossed!

Glad to hear things are improving, challenges aside. Every time I see this thread pop up again I go "oh no..." and am glad to see there's no reason for that reaction.

^^this^^ :) Really very glad to hear Angus is improving.

Hi all, thought I would give a little update on our dear Angus. At the moment he is out of the woods still but he is still fighting this fight. He has been on steroids since he fell ill and was doing quite well, he had his blood levels back into normal levels a couple weeks back so we reduced his dosage a tiny bit, unfortunately he didn't handle it well and did a big backslide :( we put the dosage back up again and he continued to backslide so we had to increase his dosage. When he backslides he gets very anemic very fast, over the last week he came very close to getting back in danger of a crash but with the increase in meds he has slowly started getting ahead of his immune system and rebuilding his red blood cells. The vets have decided to go with a different med to suppress his immune system even more.

Through all of this Angus has handled it very well, getting pills into a cat isn't the easiest task by any stretch and the constant trips to the vets in the crate isn't his favourite game but he is (sadly) into the routine now and I think he knows it helps.

Another sad development was Paws, one of our other family cats (Miss Emily's cat that came to live with us) instinctively started attacking Angus after he came home from the vets for one visit, partly because they had a bunch of male shelter cats in to be neutered and Angus brought the smell home and partly because he went from being dominant to weak. He would actively hunt Angus and we had to keep them separated :( A few weeks back we had to make the decision to move him out and back to live with our daughters. Luckily he fit in perfectly in his new home. Since then Angus has been much more relaxed and at peace in his home.

Here is a recent shot of him and his best buddy Bear who always checks up on him and takes good care of his friend.

IMG_8649-2 by Judi Smelko, on Flickr

Aw, Angus! I'm glad the meds are working and that he has sweet little Bear to help take care of him :heart:

Sorry about Paws, though it sounds like moving him was the best for all concerned.

I'm so sorry you and Angus are all going through this. I'm glad to hear he is doing a little better, continued thoughts and prayers for him.

It must have been hard letting Paws go to a new home, but you did the right thing. Lots and lots of hugs sent your way.

Thanks Lenny and Barb, letting Paws go was hard, I miss him a lot, especially him waking me up in the morning but you are right, it was the right decision for both him and Angus, with Angus's immune system suppressed any scratch could potentially be life threatening and Paws hated being separated.

Thanks Lenny and Barb, letting Paws go was hard, I miss him a lot, especially him waking me up in the morning but you are right, it was the right decision for both him and Angus, with Angus's immune system suppressed any scratch could potentially be life threatening and Paws hated being separated.

You did the right thing. Sometimes it's hard to be a good mom! :hug::

Hate to hear about Angus backsliding, but it sounds like he fought back and is once again on his way to better health! That picture of him and Bear is wonderful, even without knowing the touching story behind these two! :heart:

Thanks so mug Terri :hugs:

We go in for another blood test and to pick up his mew meds tomorrow morning, fingers crossed that the backslide has reversed!

Thanks so mug Terri :hugs:

We go in for another blood test and to pick up his mew meds tomorrow morning, fingers crossed that the backslide has reversed!

He's hung in there so far - he must be a strong boy. :heart: Keep us posted!! :)

image.jpg
Yesterday broke my heart, at 4 years old our dear Angus passed away after a long battle with this Autoimmune Hemolitic Anemia. :(
Rip my dear friend <3

Most reactions

Back