prblem with lighting using a canon 580ex 11 speedlight

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by moshe, Dec 14, 2009.

1. moshe

moshe TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    hi

i am using the a canon 50D and the the 580ex speedlgiht

i just did a set of pictures and i used the flash as a bounced light from the ceiling some pictures i got the perfect light and some pictures i have very yellow light it look a,must like there is no flash

i was standing as the same spot and the subject as well where on the same spot the lighting comdion in the room didnt change at all

2. chip

chip TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    That is typical of Canon's flash performance - in short, hit and miss. The E-TTL II is very unreliable, especially when you try to be a little fancy such as bounce the flash. I have read all sorts of web blogs and manuals and Canon's literature on the camera (5D2) and flash (580 EX II) and to no avail. Lately what I decided to do is instead of E-TTL II, I select the external control-manual mode on the flash and set the camera to M. This is what they called the old fashioned "thyristor" mode. You set the ISO and Aperture manually on the flash and set your camera to say 1/125 and the aperture you set on the flash. I find that this method actually works more reliably.

This method ONLY works with the 580EXII it does not work with the 580EX.

3. IgsEMT

IgsEMT No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    So what you really trying to say is shooting in full manual? :)

4. chip

chip TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    No, it is shooting with a fixed shutter speed and fixed aperture and let the flash's thryistor automaticalty vary the flash duration based on distance. This method is only going by the distance between the flash and the subject. There is no communication between the flash and camera. Back lit situations are no issues for this method. What Canon lacking is a scene recognition program. Most Nikons have this and pretty much nails challenging flash lighting scenarios almost every time. I have taken thousand of shots with my Canon. I must admit I do not know how to make it expose correctly every time when using a flash in E-TTL II mode. I have absolutely no issues with my Nikons.

5. IgsEMT

IgsEMT No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Personally, as sophisticated SLR brains are, I often find inaccuracy in ttl on both Nikon and Canon side. Even if the camera is on the tripod and subject at fixed distance, no change in distance, only turning heads and body, both in ttl are just kind of crappy - continuously changing the exposure. It and less battery drain on the flash, are reasons why I prefer manual modes.
    On Nikon end, someone from here recently took time and explaining to me what Auto modes are. (Since the day I got into photography, I was taught manual left and right so I'm now learning auto modes :D) so on Auto, I'm pretty happy with consistency I'm getting.

6. moshe

moshe TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    So let me get it straight here

Since I am using the canon flash there is no way to get it to work in auto mode I must shoot in manually mode??

7. Village Idiot

Village Idiot No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    HAHAHAHA! Bs.

What mode were you shooting in? If you're using some kind of auto mode and the camera is exposing for ambient, and ambient tungsten light can bleed into the exposure causing a yellow frame. I use my 580EX II all the time for parties and never have a problem with exposure.

8. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    A friend of mine tested the 'thyristor' mode on his 580EX II. His results were that the 'thyristor' mode was more inconsistant than E-TTL.

E-TTL can sometimes be surprising, but if you have an idea how it works, it's not that bad.

We can't really diagnose the problem unless you show us the images, preferably along with the EXIF info.
    From the sounds of it, my guess would be that you were firing too fast for the flash to recycle, so when it looked like the flash didn't fire...it might not have.

9. inTempus

inTempus TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

That's odd, I shoot with the 580EXII and I rarely have problems with E-TTL. I use E-TTL probably 80% of the time and manual when I'm doing something a little more predictable (studio type stuff). Sure, E-TTL can get freaked out by a scene on both brands flashes, it's not perfect. But if the majority of your shots are screwed up, there's something else wrong.

Either your flash needs service, your camera needs service, or the loose nut behind the shutter needs tightening. :)

I trust my flashes, as do many-many photogs, in tough situations like weddings and other fast paced scenarios. If I were having all the problems it sounds like you're having, I would get my gear checked out.

10. moshe

moshe TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i was in full auto mode and E-TTL II

11. moshe

moshe TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i dont want to post my pics public can i email them to you?

12. keith foster

keith foster TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I, too, shoot with a 580 EXII and the only time I have an issue is if I shoot to fast, like Mike suggested may have happened. I have noticed changing the batteries often makes a big difference. I guess that goes without saying though.