prblem with lighting using a canon 580ex 11 speedlight

Okay, so you can prove that people have problems with Canon flashes. According to your line of logic since it is documented that people have had trouble with a piece equipment then NOBODY gets good results from the equipment.
Why bash people who are happy with their equipment and getting good results and willing to give advice to someone who is having issues with that same equipment?

Why are my photos too dark using Nikon D90 and SB-900? - Yahoo! Answers

Humm, flash problem or user error? I'm going with user error.

Wait, a flash/camera might actually meter a scene wrong (even the vaulted D700/SB900 combo) if you're shooting something white like a wall or brides dress?

D3 / D700 flash underexposure - FM Forums

No way. Note how they discuss bouncing the flash can change the exposure. Obviously! Are you shooting in a room with black walls or white walls? Are you bouncing off a 20ft ceiling or a 8ft ceiling? Do you think this might make a difference?

Here's a Nikon shooter that thinks the D70/SB800 under-exposes by 2/3 stop.

Nikon SB-800 AF SpeedLight Review « Nikon Reviews

If anything, the camera and flash tend to want to underexpose just a bit, but you can easily use the flash compensation to fix this. It appears that the Nikon folks are going for a more natural-light exposure, while I prefer a brighter picture. I usually set the flash to +2/3 and am always happy with the results.

I could go on all day.

Like I said, if you're not getting quality pictures from your Canon 580EXII it's likely user error. If not, something is defective with the flash or camera. I'm going with user error.

When using E-TTL I recommend shoot your camera in manual mode(to where you want your ambient or standard exposure) and then place your flash in E-TTL mode. I find this way to have the most consistent results when using E-TTL.

If both camera and flash are in auto I find the results varied(no control whatsoever on the outcome)...more calculations being processed makes a tougher task for the equipment to give you want it wants.

FYI you all - I found out by experimenting with the Canon that if you choose a fixed focus point, the flash pictures turn out a lot more consistent! The flash auto exposure point is tied to the AF point. This is not documented in the camera owner's manual or in the flash's owner's manual! Those Canon writers must be engineers (i.e. poor communicators).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back