Pre Flash: MK910 & Nikon D3300

CodyD

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone,

I bought a Nikon D3300 for a vacation trip and really falling in love with it. I'm definitely going to upgrade to a better one eventually.

Anyway, I bought a Meike MK910 that I got a good deal on, and seemed like a good investment I can use with cameras to come.

It seems to work great, I'm learning all I can about flash photography, and currently reading The Hot Shoe Diaries. About half way through.

I've been using it with TTL and hot shoed to the camera, it seems to work just fine. But for the life of me I can't seem to figure out if the pre flash is working or not. I really don't notice multiple flashes at all, it seems it just flashes once. Unless its happening so fast its hard to even tell. But I doubt that. I can tell on the D3300 on camera flash. There is no double lightning bolt on the flashes LCD nor the camera to indicate pre flash. Nor can I find anything in the manuals.

Am I missing something or does this camera and flash combo just not support it? Its hard to find info as this isnt a typical camera you get a speedlight for.

I'd appreciate any insight. Thank you.

Welcome to TPF. I don't no much about flash photography but The flash you see is the pre-flash, once the mirror moves up and the shutter opens is when the real flash has gone off and you won't see that flash because the mirror is up. I think this is how it works but maybe others will chime In that do flash photography.

If you are getting correctly exposed ttl flash images then the preflash must be working correctly.
The preflash is both short duration and occurs a short very time before the main flash so that to the human eye the preflash and main flash merge into a single flash of light.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back