Pre-owned lenses

tvphotog

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
How do you suggest I go about buying pre-owned lenses? Do you suggest this approach? How can I trust the seller? Is there a service on this forum for such sales?

Thanks.

Do you suggest buying pre-owned lenses, or is the risk of problems with them not worth the savings?

Do you suggest buying pre-owned lenses, or is the risk of problems with them not worth the savings?

I would be more scared to buy a camera used, than a lens used. You can be very lucky with second-hand lenses. If they are incredibly cheap, however, that would appear a bit fishy to me, since lenses usually do not drop in price quickly. I sold used lenses at just 10 percent below the price of a new one.

There is always a risk, and it is your decision if you are willing to take it!

Also if your going to be buying lenses off ebay just make sure the seller has a good return policy and a good feedback score.

I have an obscene amount of glass, about half is 2nd (or 3rd,4th) hand, many came from ePay. I never have had a problem. I do ask questions and only by name brand, in my case Nikon/Nikkor. If making that purchase on ePay, in addition to asking everything you can think of, research the seller. Don't buy from someone with poor feedback, or a low number of feedbacks. I also don't buy from Hong Kong or other far east countries. (my daughter had problems there, so I just don't) Things to ask? Is the mount tight? Are the focus and zoom rings smooth, not loose? Any blemishes on the glass? Is there dust between the elements? How much dust? (a little is OK, depending on price and how bad you want the lens) Does the filter ring have and dings/dents? Will a filter thread on easily? Any signs of fungus inside the lens? Any marks, etching, stamping, dings/dents, etc on the lens barrel? (These are cosmetic and can be acceptable but affect price)
I am sure some here can add to the list, but you get the idea I'm sure.

Thanks, John, very good information.

I have several lenses bought off of ebay, never a problem as long a the seller has a significant number of positive feedbacks. I try to stay above 98 percent positive.

Most reactions

Back