LeeLeeMelis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Maine-but currently stationed in Okinawa, Japan
Website
www.mwbphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey there, I'm really working on my post processing techniques. The first one is the original image and the second is my idea of what a good post processed image should look. I lightened the image, boosted the saturation, and selectivley dodged the eyes to try and make them pop more. I know the original image is dark but let me know what you think I should/shouldnt have done and what you would do to make this image effective. Thanks!

Attachments

• $original.jpg
    $original.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 136
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 145
I think the kid on the right needs to brush his teeth ;)

But seriously, the post-PS one is definitely a lot better, the pre-PS one is just too dark for my tastes.

i agree that the second looks better, but on my monitor (its old, so it may just be the monitor) it looks a little hazy?

if its ok with you, i wouldnt mind trying an edit on it. i know it says your photos are OK to edit, but with a picture like that, i would rather ask first.

I opened up with curves, brightened the teeth, opened up a little more on the face of the boy on the left, softened it overall then sharpened it.

imagecopy.jpg

The edit by heip is awesome! It brought some needed contrast into the image as well.

USM means unsharp mask, which can be found in photoshop under Filter > Sharpen > Unsharp Mask. This allows you to control sharpening much better than if you were to use an "auto" sharpen.

NJ

thanks for asking, go ahead and show me your edit. Please tell me what you did though I really want to get better at photoshop. Heres another question, what is sharpening in USM mean?

i dont use Photoshop, so im not sure if it has the same tools as what i do use, PaintShop Pro X.

i used the clarify tool to get rid of the hazy look, increased the saturation a little bit (10), whitened the teeth, sharpened the eyes very slightly, bumped up the contrast a little (12), and then used the noise removal tool (35).

after that, i opened the picture in the trial version of LightZone 3 i downloaded and lightened the shadows in their faces and lightened the dark spots around the eyes.

after saving again, i opened it in PaintShop Pro again and decreased the brightness a small amount, sharpened the entire image, and then used the soften tool on a couple spots around the knees and on the boy on the rights neck to get rid of some noise i got from sharpening the entire image, and saved it.

i did the edits last night at 4am, so i may have forgotten a step or 2. it looks a tiny bit smooth IMO, but adding a little bit of noise might help it look a little better.

59ea665f.jpg

After all of the help I have been graciously given on this image this is what I have come up with. Let me know what you think and if you think certain areas should be changed. I messed with Curves a bit but it's going to take me some time to get used to that tool so this was done with levels.

Attachments

• $edit2.jpg
    $edit2.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 88
After all of the help I have been graciously given on this image this is what I have come up with. Let me know what you think and if you think certain areas should be changed. I messed with Curves a bit but it's going to take me some time to get used to that tool so this was done with levels.

Its still a bit underexposed. You might want to adjust the levels.

I think with the underexposure you are going to have alot of trouble with this image being flat. I think John05 did the best edit job so far.

I feel like we're still missing the boat just a bit. Color balance is my concern, along with contrast. It's a bit off-center too.

I warmed it a bit, increased the contrast and did a slight crop.

I hope this helps.

Pete

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 68

Most reactions

Back