Pre-Prom Party Results

B Kennedy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So, I've posted a few threads in the past on advice/experience and I just finished up the pre-prom editting from this past weekend. A few questions, and a group shot that didn't quite go the way I'd hoped.

To start, me and the client spoke over a month ago about this, and as I talked about in a previous post, that I wanted her to figure out definite dvd sales so that I could offer her a lower price...so on and so forth. Well she never got back to me until last wednesday (2days prior) that she wanted me to come. Now i had originally planned on taking a 1/2 day from work so that I could get there early. Now that it was 2 days beforehand, I had to try to get out work early just to get there with maybe 10 min to spare before people began showing up. Now here goes my dilemma.

Attached is the one picture I have the question about. I'm guessing her house was at least around $1 mil, very nice, immaculate, and im sure having very expensive things inside. This first picture is one of the entire prom party. It was raining out so we were forced to stay indoors. Now off to the left was the couch, it couldnt be moved anymore to the left becuase of the dining room table. And hind-sight now I look at the image and it kills me that we didnt have enough time/nor did the owner think to move any of this furniture so that it wasnt in the way. As you can see, I ran out of room setting them up, and had to deal with little windows to have their heads be seen (left side).

Currently I'm in the process of finalizing my negotiations with bus. insurance, so as I was there, all i could think about while i was there was, hopefully i dont bump into anything and theres no way in hell im moving anything in case something breaks and I'm liable.

So what would you do in this case...limited time, limited space of where to move this furniture to (from what i could take). And as a result now I have a group picture with cluttered furniture in the foreground.

The second pic is just a fun shot I took towards the end! I like the way it came out.

Attachments

• $IMG_3337.jpg
    $IMG_3337.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 107
  • $IMG_3357.jpg
    $IMG_3357.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 94
I don't do this type of photography, but here's my thoughts...
The couch in the b/g on the left doesn't bother me much, and the photo on the wall can be cloned out to match the rest of the wall...but was there not any room right next to you, on either side, to scoot the armchairs and table back? They would then not be visible in the foreground.
If there is anything in my viewfinder I don't like, I always try to get it removed, ask a couple of times if you have to! I totally understand about the insurance thing, mine just kicked in and till now I was VERY careful about shooting around things.

On the other hand, I think the second shot that you did of all of them is much more fun and has more oomph as a group shot!

Would you have been able to shoot the other way? Have the people stand where you were and you stand where they were. This way, you could use some of the furniture as props in the picture.

I do also like the 2nd picture, but not everyone's face is visible. Its a much more energetic shot than the first formal one.

Would you have been able to shoot the other way? Have the people stand where you were and you stand where they were. This way, you could use some of the furniture as props in the picture.

I do also like the 2nd picture, but not everyone's face is visible. Its a much more energetic shot than the first formal one.
\

Unfortunately there was a staircase about 5' behind me and I don't think the space in front of the stair would have been enough space. I thought about setting them up for the formal shot up the stairs, but I was unsure if I was gonna be able to fit them all or not, and being that it takes a while to set up that many kids, I opted to just go for the way I did. Oh and about the faces...I took a still shot the same way and made them all freeze, and I told them about the whole window thing and that I needed to see all their faces! I said "Simon says everyone freeze" <-- a little corny but it worked. i got all faces minus the 1/2 one in the middle.

Rab - yea I guess there was some room, although the place was practically shoulder to shoulder with people. I think next time, especially with how unsatisfied I was with that pic and the foreground elements, I will make sure that everything is moved (pending my insurance has kicked in just in case). Fortunately for me though, the client loved the pictures and can't wait for another opportunity for me to photograph for them! That made it all worth it.

Attachments

• $IMG_3353.jpg
    $IMG_3353.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 85

Most reactions

Back