Predict the future for me!

Your Honor, the Prosecution rests.:mrgreen: FYI, if you are so young that you had to google Beta Max perhaps you should check out this thread. There may be some information that could be important to you in the future as you grow older. http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/off-topic-chat/362784-ladies.html :biglaugh:
:giggle: hey I'm not THAT young. I'm 26 years 17 weeks and 6 days okay? I don't know why everyone has to treat me like a baby still. Is it because I'm short? I'm practically 27, and for my 27th birthday I want a pony, in case you were wondering. But not just ANY pony. I want a white pony with a rainbow mane. :eyeroll: #Iamnotababyanymore

I know the feeling of wanting to capture moments vs wanting to enjoy those moments. My wife has been telling me to leave the camera at home lately.
My hubby doesn't say it, but I can tell he gets annoyed sometimes....

I don't want that AF in my A7 not when you get ISO like this iso 16,000 no noise reduction 210mm hand held at 1/20
I am more impressed with the fact that you were able to get a sharp shot HANDHELD at 1/20 of a second 210mm IMPRESSIVE! I am not that steady.

Talk to Danny ... manual focus 500mm Canon FD lense + NEX 7 = awesome BIF
hmmm.... Is Danny his UN? I'm drawing a blank right now on who that is, but I am pre coffee at the moment.
Simple use focus peaking
I've tried a few MF shots, but but the time the shutter lag is over they have usually moved. Although it came far closer than any AF shots I've tried with my camera. It actually looked in focus on the LCD.

Guess I need more practice.

Your Honor, the Prosecution rests.:mrgreen: FYI, if you are so young that you had to google Beta Max perhaps you should check out this thread. There may be some information that could be important to you in the future as you grow older. http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/off-topic-chat/362784-ladies.html :biglaugh:
:giggle: hey I'm not THAT young. I'm 26 years 17 weeks and 6 days okay? I don't know why everyone has to treat me like a baby still. Is it because I'm short? I'm practically 27, and for my 27th birthday I want a pony, in case you were wondering. But not just ANY pony. I want a white pony with a rainbow mane. :eyeroll: #Iamnotababyanymore

I know the feeling of wanting to capture moments vs wanting to enjoy those moments. My wife has been telling me to leave the camera at home lately.

I am more impressed with the fact that you were able to get a sharp shot HANDHELD at 1/20 of a second 210mm IMPRESSIVE! I am not that steady.

hmmm.... Is Danny his UN? I'm drawing a blank right now on who that is, but I am pre coffee at the moment.
Simple use focus peaking
I've tried a few MF shots, but but the time the shutter lag is over they have usually moved. Although it came far closer than any AF shots I've tried with my camera. It actually looked in focus on the LCD.

Twenty seven? My goodness. I have socks that old. In fact I'm wearing a pair.. lol.

As for the pony with the rainbow mane, good call there. They really are much tastier than the plain mane variety.

Sent from my LG-LG730 using Tapatalk

Twenty seven? My goodness. I have socks that old. In fact I'm wearing a pair.. lol. As for the pony with the rainbow mane, good call there. They really are much tastier than the plain mane variety. Sent from my LG-LG730 using Tapatalk
You eat ponies?!? Robbins, I think you just broke my heart. Bunnies are one thing- but PONIES?!? :'-( ponies are unforgiveable.

Twenty seven? My goodness. I have socks that old. In fact I'm wearing a pair.. lol. As for the pony with the rainbow mane, good call there. They really are much tastier than the plain mane variety. Sent from my LG-LG730 using Tapatalk
You eat ponies?!? Robbins, I think you just broke my heart. Bunnies are one thing- but PONIES?!? :'-( ponies are unforgiveable.
Well if you have a my little pony lunch box what else are you supposed to put in it? sheesh... lol

Sent from my LG-LG730 using Tapatalk

Well if you have a my little pony lunch box what else are you supposed to put in it? sheesh... lol Sent from my LG-LG730 using Tapatalk
Well I usually stick with a juice box, string cheese, and goldfish crackers.

Ps: I'd like to know what brand of sox those are. The last 4 packs of sox I've bought haven't lasted more than 3 months! They just don't make things like they used to!

Last edited:
Thom Hogan ridicules that video, without mentioning the stores that priduced it by name in this article about the state of mirrorless AF. Focus Focus Focus | Sans Mirror — mirrorless, interchangeable lens cameras | Thom Hogan A few excerpts from a guy who makes a living shooting, AND writing about d-slrs and mirrorless cameras.

" I took an X-T1, E-M1, and D7100 to the Galapagos in April and shot with them side-by-side. Generally, I had one of the mirrored cameras plus the D7100 with me on most shore excursions, so I was able to do real life scenario testing on some of the toughest subjects there are: small birds flying close to me and somewhat randomly. It’s a real stress test of focus systems and how well they handle constant and random change in subject position."

"The more focal length you’re using—especially if it’s fast glass—the more the DSLRs shine compared to the mirrorless cameras."

"Most of the mirrorless continuous autofocus systems shot in bursts have some discontinuity to the burst (e.g. they slow down), even when Release Priority is selected." (ie, with the Fuji 8 frames per second slows to 4 frames a second...

"Where things start to change is when you want to shoot more than one photo in sequence (either via a burst or by pressing the shutter release in quick succession), where the subject is moving randomly and at/away from you, and when you can’t keep a single autofocus sensor on the subject with reliability. Then, DSLRs (and the Nikon 1 with native lenses) start to show off their advantage. "

As far as the allegation that people have been shooting birds in flight for years: YES, mostly with EXPENSIVE, cutting-edge lenses like the old Killfit trigger-squeeze telephotos that appeared in the 1950's, so only the true experts had them. And, the "bar" has BEEN RAISED. Getting ONE or two in-focus frames is not the same thing as a modern d-slr that can shoot 29-frame buffers of 14-bit RAW files with basically almost every frame in crisp focus, all day long, for years on end. I own two of the world's BEST internal focusing telephotos from the 1976-1987 period, the 300/4.5 and the 400/3.5 ED-Internal Focus "sports/wildlife" lenses, and while they are good, a modern AF Nikkor can focus better, faster, easier, for more in focus frames over a 2-hour event than either MF lens could or can. Plus, the viewfinders on today's AF cameras are not optimized for focus ascertainment as much as for a BRIGHT view.

Like the guy in the review robbins linked to: a telezoom that's an f/3.5 to f/5 or f/6.3 or whatever is the kind of SMALL, light, affordable zoom that pairs well, and sells well with mirrorless cameras; the bigger f/4 70-200 and f/2.8 70-200 tele-zooms let in double, or four times, or eight times or more light than the slower,lighter tele zooms can, so that means the big cameras have an advantage by having more light, and greater IN-focus versus OUT-of-focus data differentiation information difference (which is how phase-detect AF works), which helps the bigger camera in tough lighting, as well as in good light conditions. Bottom line though is what Thom said: the current state of mirrorless AF,especially for ONE-shot AF acquisition might be good enough for the needs of many people!!!!

You JUST HAD a Nikon D7100 and the 70-200 f/4 AF-S VR-G Zoom~NIKKOR lens...you saw what that can do. Thom shot his D7100 next to the Sony XT-1 and the Olympus EM-1, two of the finest, best APS-C and 4.3 mirrorless bodies, using mostly the slowish but brand-new Zoom~NIKKOR 80-400 f/4.5~5.6 AF-S G VRII. The D-SALR and the Nikon zoom were better performers on tough targets, without the focus slowdowns, stall-outs, and the hesitations and slowing down of frame rates the mirrorless cams had at times. Prediction: mirrorless will get better, but traditional higher-level d-slrs like D7100 and up will ALSO get better and better. But NOT EVERY PERSON will need the focusing speed and capabilities of the d-slrs! Often, we shoot ONE, single, fast shot of a static subject: mirrorless cameras are very fast at that. And if a camera is too big and heavy, it gets left behind, so the smaller camera that is carried wins the day.

Prediction: mirrorless will get better, but traditional higher-level d-slrs like D7100 and up will ALSO get better and better. But NOT EVERY PERSON will need the focusing speed and capabilities of the d-slrs! Often, we shoot ONE, single, fast shot of a static subject: mirrorless cameras are very fast at that. And if a camera is too big and heavy, it gets left behind, so the smaller camera that is carried wins the day.

The d7100 was AMAZING. And that lens.... :drool: part of me regrets returning it to be honest, mostly because now I'm stuck saving for a mkiii, and I'm not sure how long that will take. I suppose I'm still stuck deciphering my needs, my wants, and practicality.

I was stoked to save up for a FF, and then days like yesterday happen and I want to chuck my nex7 out the window NOW. I was trying to shoot my nephews birthday at the park (nothing serious, just some nice snap shots would have made me happy!) and when using single point AF with him against the wood chips my camera missed 8 out of 10 times. He's is WILD and there was really not time for MF, because he won't sit or stand still if his life depended on it! Then at dinner with a friend I wanted to get shots of the kids with their ice cream and I really think ff would have given me a huge advantage. I had to drop my iso to 6400 to get a decent shot in that lighting and I know I'm going to cringe when I Upload them!

So sure, I carried my camera in my purse since it was small, but perhaps I just need to invest in a bigger purse. ;-)

You better stay in the good ole USA. They eat horse meat in France and dog in the Pacific rim. I've tried both and both are good. I'm no Andrew Zimmerman but I will try just about anything once.

You better stay in the good ole USA. They eat horse meat in France and dog in the Pacific rim. I've tried both and both are good. I'm no Andrew Zimmerman but I will try just about anything once.

I'd like to start breading meat rabbits, but I just don't think I could EVER eat horse or dog. :-( DH tells me I will never survive the apocalypse, and honestly- I think I'm okay with that.

Simple use focus peaking

Ive got a white pony :wink:

img056%20copy-XL.jpg

Most reactions

Back