Preferred photo storage/backup method?

There are plenty of fireproof and waterproof NAS boxes you can get such as this one:

So the $100,0000 question - Do you currently have your drives in a fireproof/waterproof storage box??? Even then I can tell you from experience on the scene of many house/business fires, tornadoes, floods, etc. that it is highly likely that even my big, heavy safe, is questionable as to keeping the contents safe. That's why there is always a drive in the briefcase along with other important papers that I can grab in hurry as I head out the door.
So what happens if the cloud storage site has a fire, hit by a tornado, a flood. Same difference. The cloud is a fools paradise in my opinion. Too many things could happen, even simple things like they go out of business.

If you want true secure off site storage you invest in true multi site, redundant backup, disaster proof backup solutions. The same ones that the financial institutions and big businesses use since they can't afford to have a data loss event.

Companies that deal in cloud storage have multiple storage sites and redundancies. Them losing data is not an issue. The issue is hacking. No company no matter how big or who they are can get hacked. Look at Yahoo many years ago and never mind all the companies that get hacked but never make it to the public's ears. Cloud storage is not bad if used correctly but I would never put anything that you wouldn't want stolen on there.
Not true. They may have multiple servers but many do not maintain multiple sites. Them losing data IS an issue. You talk about hacking. 99,9999999% of the junk on cloud storage isn't worth a plug nickle to a hacker. But the insertion of one small piece of malicious script that then is backed to the various backup servers is all it takes. At a specific time or on a specific command ALL of the servers get erased. DATA GONE!

There are plenty of fireproof and waterproof NAS boxes you can get such as this one:

So the $100,0000 question - Do you currently have your drives in a fireproof/waterproof storage box??? Even then I can tell you from experience on the scene of many house/business fires, tornadoes, floods, etc. that it is highly likely that even my big, heavy safe, is questionable as to keeping the contents safe. That's why there is always a drive in the briefcase along with other important papers that I can grab in hurry as I head out the door.
So what happens if the cloud storage site has a fire, hit by a tornado, a flood. Same difference. The cloud is a fools paradise in my opinion. Too many things could happen, even simple things like they go out of business.

If you want true secure off site storage you invest in true multi site, redundant backup, disaster proof backup solutions. The same ones that the financial institutions and big businesses use since they can't afford to have a data loss event.

Companies that deal in cloud storage have multiple storage sites and redundancies. Them losing data is not an issue. The issue is hacking. No company no matter how big or who they are can get hacked. Look at Yahoo many years ago and never mind all the companies that get hacked but never make it to the public's ears. Cloud storage is not bad if used correctly but I would never put anything that you wouldn't want stolen on there.
Not true. They may have multiple servers but many do not maintain multiple sites. Them losing data IS an issue. You talk about hacking. 99,9999999% of the junk on cloud storage isn't worth a plug nickle to a hacker. But the insertion of one small piece of malicious script that then is backed to the various backup servers is all it takes. At a specific time or on a specific command ALL of the servers get erased. DATA GONE!

Any professional cloud service does. Google has 12 data centres alone in the US never mind across the world. Any of these data centres can blow up and they would not lose data. And yes they keep archives as well. If anything malicious deletes data they can recover from other sites or archives. This goes the same with Microsoft cloud services and other major cloud services.

Huge companies spend millions of dollars to have there data stored in the cloud so you better believe they have redundancies, backups and security.

I don't think you fully understand how big these cloud services are and what kind of data is stored in them. They are not just used for storing photos. Major companies have there sensitive data in the cloud.

You have a serious lack of understanding how these services work if you think its that easy to wipe it out to wipe the whole thing out.

gryphonslair99 said:
Westinghouse now in Bankruptcy.

Anyone and everyone can go out of business at any time.

Heard on NPR (radio, for you that don't know) that Toshiba is having HUGE financial losses, in large part due to its ownership of Westinghouse....

Any professional cloud service does. Google has 12 data centres alone in the US never mind across the world. Any of these data centres can blow up and they would not lose data. And yes they keep archives as well. If anything malicious deletes data they can recover from other sites or archives. This goes the same with Microsoft cloud services and other major cloud services.

Huge companies spend millions of dollars to have there data stored in the cloud so you better believe they have redundancies, backups and security.

I don't think you fully understand how big these cloud services are and what kind of data is stored in them. They are not just used for storing photos. Major companies have there sensitive data in the cloud.

You have a serious lack of understanding how these services work if you think its that easy to wipe it out to wipe the whole thing out.

You have a serious lack of understanding of how those services work compared to truely secure data storage & recovery services. You have no understanding how companies like Acronis, Iron Mountain, Sungard or UniTrends work vs the typical Cloud services. They are in a whole different league than you are used to thinking about or using.

As for cyber attacks, you truly have a lack of understanding of how really good hackers operate or what they can do. Ask the Las Vegas Sands Corp for starters. Or ask Iran about the Stuxnet Worm. They know the power of a simple, quite, undetectable 500kb worm that infiltrated numerous highly secure interconnected systems as well as several highly secure air-gapped systems. That little bit of work destroyed millions upon millions of dollars worth of hardware.

gryphonslair99 said:
Westinghouse now in Bankruptcy.

Anyone and everyone can go out of business at any time.

Heard on NPR (radio, for you that don't know) that Toshiba is having HUGE financial losses, in large part due to its ownership of Westinghouse....
Yep. The nuclear energy industry is in serious trouble as well. Westinghouse is the leading designer of nuclear reactors for most of the world.

You have a serious lack of understanding of how those services work compared to truely secure data storage & recovery services. You have no understanding how companies like Acronis, Iron Mountain, Sungard or UniTrends work vs the typical Cloud services. They are in a whole different league than you are used to thinking about or using.

As for cyber attacks, you truly have a lack of understanding of how really good hackers operate or what they can do. Ask the Las Vegas Sands Corp for starters. Or ask Iran about the Stuxnet Worm. They know the power of a simple, quite, undetectable 500kb worm that infiltrated numerous highly secure interconnected systems as well as several highly secure air-gapped systems. That little bit of work destroyed millions upon millions of dollars worth of hardware.

I don't know why I am bothering with this but what the hell. First of all I have 26 years as an IT professional working with everything from servers, storage, networking, os's, etc so I believe I have some knowledge.

Now tell me when I was comparing cloud services with storage companies? I never even brought them up. Have you read my earlier posts?

First on cloud services I said this.

"Cloud storage. Only used for non-sensitive data. Basically I only use it to put up photos that I like to access from anywhere and to post on forums, anything I don't care if it gets hacked. I do not rely on this as a backup and would never ever put sensitive data in the cloud."

and

"Them losing data is not an issue. The issue is hacking. No company no matter how big or who they are can get hacked. Look at Yahoo many years ago and never mind all the companies that get hacked but never make it to the public's ears. Cloud storage is not bad if used correctly but I would never put anything that you wouldn't want stolen on there."

I never advocated Cloud as storage.

Also my post you are quoting was an answer to this:

"So what happens if the cloud storage site has a fire, hit by a tornado, a flood."
and
"Not true. They may have multiple servers but many do not maintain multiple sites. Them losing data IS an issue."
and
"99,9999999% of the junk on cloud storage isn't worth a plug nickle to a hacker."

This is absolutely wrong and I corrected you.

"But the insertion of one small piece of malicious script that then is backed to the various backup servers is all it takes. At a specific time or on a specific command ALL of the servers get erased. DATA GONE!'

Extremely unlikely. Isolating the networks the backup servers are in, archiving offline and other security measures. Even where I work every 30 days an backup archive gets sent offsite.

And lastly since you brought it up, companies like Google, Microsoft and Amazon with their cloud services are at the top with storage and security. They buy companies like Acronis and Iron Mountain so they have the in house technology. Coca-cola uses Googles Cloud services for content, storage and archiving. You bet they are going to have the best security and storage possible.

So you bring up Storage service companies that we weren't talking about and then go on about Sand corps getting hacked. Sand Corps computer security was a joke as they finally had to admit. The hackers brute forced a password through there website and put in malware to capture login and password credentials. At some point some idiot Systems Engineer logged in through the site with credentials that had access to basically everything. Crappy security and a complete idiot of a Systems Engineer, who should never ever work in the industry again, were the reason for the successful hack.

All we were talking about was where you backup your photos and personal data.

Just upload your jpegs to Flickr and Facebook. They are pretty secured.

Well Yahoo owns Flickr and there was a massive hack at Yahoo 5 years ago were millions of accounts were compromised so probably not the best statement to make.

I have everything in internal drive in pc. These are used for editing.
Besides this I have a backup harddrive which I monthly update. This is kept where I work.
During the past year I have together with friends had a 5 x MS Office 365 including 1 Terabyte cloud, plus skype, MS office etc. For around 75 usd/year each of us have above facilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since it's been a bit since the OP has weighed in, I'm sure he's surmised by now that asking about personal preference on storage is like asking which camera is better. .........

Since it's been a bit since the OP has weighed in, I'm sure he's surmised by now that asking about personal preference on storage is like asking which camera is better. .........

I've been following along. Certainly didn't expect things to get so heated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back