TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Oklahoma...wishing I lived back on the West Coast
Website
www.mangohillphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi there,
I'm shooting a friend next week who is due in about a month. I've never shot pregnancy photos, and I'd like any helpful advice, tips, poses...whatever you've got!

One concern is location. I generally shoot outdoors but its a bit cold, and it should be more of a private thing. I think I can have a makeshift studio on the first floor of my apartment that may do the trick, it's got some windows that let sunlight in, though it is rather dark. I don't have lighting equipment except for a detachable flash, and house lamps lamps. I'm not great at indoor portraits, so advice here would be AWESOME!

Any advice on how I can make this a great experience for her?

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You will need some decent off-camera lighting, regular lamps are not usually sufficieent.
You detachable flash, can this be triggered off the camera? IF so, use that as your primary source of lighting.

In addition to the proper lighting, take someone with you. Your wife or girlfriend is best. Or the subjects husband. Make it clear to them to stay back and stay quiet. Their presence is important to making the subject feel comfortable. The woman, and her husband, may want a full nude of her. This would not be advisable if you were alone. If that is what she wants, the artistic possibilities for you are vast. Most importantly, be professional and considerate. Your talent and attitude are far more important to a successful shoot than sweating equipment.
BTW, if you are female, the subjects husband present can still be a very supporting factor.
Some of my best intimate/portrait pictures were made with natural window light only.
This should be a challenging and rewarding experience.

Hey there, kahulani.
Since you said you are doing this for a friend, I'm guessing you aren't interested in spending a lot of money (which I totally understand.) That means you are going to have to work with what you have. Can you share with us what kind camera you have? What lens you plan to use? What "detachable flash" do you have?

Most reactions

Back