presentation of CDs

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by ukreal1, Jul 20, 2008.

1. ukreal1

ukreal1 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    For those of you that offer images on CD, how do you present them? Do you print directly onto the CD or use those labels? I went to get some labels but they are no longer in stock because they said it was being replaced with lightscribe and since I am in Okinawa, I don't have much shopping choice. Any info will be greatly appreciated!
    P

2. Fiendish Astronaut

Fiendish Astronaut TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think it depends who your dealing with. I've never felt uncomfortable with providing businesses with standard blank CDs that I've used a marker on to write what the contents are. Providing a CD of wedding pictures to a newly weds is probably a different matter...

3. visualpoetry

visualpoetry TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I use lightscribe and love it. I just bought an external HP that has Lightscribe capabilities... they arent very expensive and look pretty professional. I buy a nice case to top it off and they usually have room for a print on the cover and a print inside on the left with magnetic closure. Very nice. (www.michelcompany.com)

4. Don Schaeffer

Don Schaeffer TPF Noob!

I wish I had a lightscribe drive. I find that the software for printing labels never works right for me. I usually bring the business to my nearby Staples and they print the labels.

5. Meysha

Meysha still being picky Vicky

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I print straight onto the cd with my printer. Although after these comments on lightscribe, i might give that a go and see what it looks like.

6. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have been using labels but I really don't like that idea too much. Some people say that the adhesive will wear the disc out prematurely.

I haven't tried those direct print discs/printers or lightscribe but I'd like to go with something like that. Lightscribe looks great but you don't get color.

7. SpeedTrap

SpeedTrap TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well, I have been using Lightscribe for 2 years now and I love it, looks good, no messy labels and now they have colour disks. Sure it is monotone but now it is not mono tone brown, they now have Red, Blue Green, Yellow. They all look great.
    Almost any new HP Computer comes with lightscribe and you can buy the drives for about $40.00 now.

8. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That's what I meant...it's monotone, rather than a color image. Although, I think a monotone image can be really classy looking so that's probably not a big issue.

I think the bigger issue for some people is the cost of the discs. What do lightscribe discs cost now?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  9. SpeedTrap

SpeedTrap TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The last set of Colour disks I bought were $35, but that was for 25 disks, so $1.40 per disk, but that was at a store where I know they were a bit more, I just did not have time to go to my usual vendor. At $1.40 a disk including label I think it is great.
    They look good, the only downfall is if you have to create several disks, it takes 20+ min to burn the image on each one.

10. visualpoetry

visualpoetry TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yeah, Lightscribe rocks.

I've heard that regular peel-n-stick lables can effect the data on your disk. I'm not sure how they hold up with age, either. It's definitly worth buying an external driver. They're not that expensive.

11. Matthew Craggs

Matthew Craggs TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I've used lightscribe in the past, but unless you really tinker with it the labels come out really light.

I would recommend inkjet printable discs. I have a HP Photosmart C5280 printer. It's cheap and it works great.

With a glossy, archive quality, hub printable discs it looks extremely professional. But the discs have to be glossy, and they have to be hub printable. The last thing you want is the client to see "Inkjet Printable DVD-R" on the inside of the disc. You'll pay a bit more for the good ones but if you're charging for the disc, you owe it to your client.

I wouldn't do the peel and stick labels. They just look homemade. I used to work in community television and we used them on DVDs we sold to people who wanted copies of our programming. Looked horrible and I can't believe that no-one else thought there was a problem with it.

12. Pure Captures

Pure Captures TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Inkjets that print directly to the disc are fairly cheap. Much better than labels too. You can buy waterproof CDs from National Audio Company that keep the ink from running. A little more expensive, but makes for nicer presentation. Considering the cheapness of a single CD in the first place, it's not a big deal.