Presenting the Dover 620-A

smithdan

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
There probably wasn't a model "B".
This black plastic curiosity is the weirdest contraption I've found yet.
017.JPG
No need to fumble about in the pocket for a cloud filter or a close-up adapter, they're right there on sliders on the front. Strange viewfinder, must be a piece missing. The thing is in portrait orientation now but the finder is almost square. Apertures are a choice of 5 holes on a rotating disc.
The flash reflector is missing. Probably a real cheek toaster anyway.
019.JPG
All the instructions needed to run the thing are riveted right handy on the back.

Anyway, after a good dusting out I fed it some re-spooled HP5 and took it along on a trip to the mountains. All are full frame scans, just a bit of exposure fiddling and dust spotting.

D620A1008es.jpg

The yellow filter didn't seem to make much difference. focus drop off from not very to not very much at all toward the corners.

D620A1009es.jpg

almost impossible to hold and shoot this thing without camera (and I use the term camera loosely) movement.

D620A1010es.jpg
Anyhoo, a mountain

D620A1015es.jpg
a waterfall, shutter fixed at around 1/60 or so.

D620A1011es.jpg
a typical touristy snapshot of the Prince of Wales hotel

D620A1014es.jpg
and a surprisingly sharper than expected shot using the close-up slider, of my bride of 45 years.

This one will live on the weird shelf and get dusted from time to time.
In closing, may The Dover and I present "The Tea Party"
D620A1002es.jpg

Cool !!
I've never seen/heard of that camera.
The images are better than I would have expected coming out of that thing.

A wander through the internet showed a previous model from Dover Film designed to take pictures on reversal paper and process them in an attached tank. Anything that weird and user un-friendly didn't sell so the moulds were used to make this thing. Heavy black stuff so yes, bakelite.

Wayyyyyy cool camera, smithdan! LOVE that crazy engineering and wacky feature set.

Nice to hear from you Derrel.

Spotted this one in a thrift store in rural Texas. HAD TO HAVE IT!

I loves me a good monstrosity! Looks like you do too! Thanks for the kind words. Nice to be back in the saddle.

Last edited:
With this camera there is no need to tell your subject to smile. :)

Made circa 1950. I love it. Body based on the failed Speed-O-Matic camera, according to McKeowan's. A keeper.

Wow, pretty awesome and sharp.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back