Press Pass Legal Issues? (fake?)

since you are honestly coming to take pictures for editorial use.

They might be for editorial use, but they won't be for press use. He said his homemade press pass would be for his "online graphic design business". I don't think he'd get approved for a media credential even if the event had spare passes to give out just because he isn't going as a representative of a legit recognized media outlet.

well i made it and it looks pretty official. My teacher even laminated it for me lol. When i got to the game i didnt feel like shooting though. I had like 5 minutes where I freaked out for now bringing it but overall i wouldnt have had enough light with my slow lenses so it wasnt bad but it will come very handy in the future especially street photography.

well i made it and it looks pretty official. My teacher even laminated it for me lol. When i got to the game i didnt feel like shooting though. I had like 5 minutes where I freaked out for now bringing it but overall i wouldnt have had enough light with my slow lenses so it wasnt bad but it will come very handy in the future especially street photography.

You had to take ONE picture, didn't you?

Or one of the pass?

Anything?

They might be for editorial use, but they won't be for press use. He said his homemade press pass would be for his "online graphic design business". I don't think he'd get approved for a media credential even if the event had spare passes to give out just because he isn't going as a representative of a legit recognized media outlet.

that right because any photos taken can only be used for "Fair Use" usages, sorry but using any photos for your graphic design business would be a copyright violation

One time I was covering a Hockey game my contact at the stadium accidently gave away my press pass to someone else thinking it was me. Well after that happened he gave me a season staff pass so I could go anywhere within reason. But yes they of course issue the pass and have your name on a list.

All you have to do is network. I don't work for any publication. I'm not a photojournalist. I'm an amateur who likes to shoot when I want...and I have a media pass to a Div. 1A University. I got it by making the right contacts, and asking for a favor. Now I can stroll into NCAA basketball games whenever I please, plop down five feet from the basket, and have some fun.

High school would be cake. Just figure out whom to speak with, introduce yourself and exude gratitude and professionalism, and you're in.

People are very inclined to do favors for people they like, even if the "rules" don't necessarily support their decision. Plus, going legitimate ensures that you won't be banned from these events in the future.

that right because any photos taken can only be used for "Fair Use" usages, sorry but using any photos for your graphic design business would be a copyright violation

I believe the way it goes is that a property owner or his/her representative as in security can restrict entry to an event, make rules related to press passes etc. but there is no such thing as copyrighting an event.

skieur

I believe the way it goes is that a property owner or his/her representative as in security can restrict entry to an event, make rules related to press passes etc. but there is no such thing as copyrighting an event.

skieur

In the US (not sure about others places) live events and their redistribution are copyrighted, If they where not you could go to any live show record it and then sale the recording without paying the performers or players

In US "Fair Use" is when you sample anything that is copyrighted, I’ll stick with photography, the new photos can only used for reviewing the original copyrighted item, if you get nice photos of the newest boy band you can sell the photos to a music magazine (LOL) for an article, but not to lunch box or bag maker to sale to tweeners girls

One other thing to consider that has not been mentioned. While a school, city or county may own a venue they often hire a company to run its day to day operations. Quite often several venues in an area, state or region will be managed by the same company. Those venue managers talk to each other. You get caught using false credentials and you may find yourself hard pressed to be able to get into any venue even if you are being completely honest.

I have to agree with shundaroni. Honesty is the best policy here. A little legwork and some good PR can go a long way. I am just a serious hobbist that loves shooting sports. I got started shooting at a local NAIA school and now there are several Big 12 schools that I can shoot at any time I want. Not from the stands but from the sidelines/floor/baseline etc. While having a press pass may sound cool, what is cool (at least to me) is the bulletin board that I have begun to fill up with sideline passes from several universities, large and small.

I really think you should do it legit. The only real way to get a legit press pass especially to something like this because you would be surprised how seriously they take these things is to call the people in charge and make a request. If you don't get one legit I hope you at least have a ticket because I would be very surprised if you get in with yours. The problem with all this is if you do not do it right you make it worse for the resr of us. When I was in school I was told that my school used to get field passes to Steeler games but a couple of students went and acted stupid at one and the priveledge was yanked so now no more pass for that school. Especially going as an amatuer you represent alot of people who would like to get passes to build a portfolio and trying to game the system will do nothing more than make them more sensetive to everyone who wants to get in.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back