Press passes? or whatever??

igloopants

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
How does one obtain the ability to attend events without paying or going 'through the front door' or whatever to cover an event (sports/music etc.)?

Do you need to be working for a company? or have your own ABN? or do you just call the even organiser and ask?

How does one obtain the ability to attend events without paying or going 'through the front door' or whatever to cover an event (sports/music etc.)?

Do you need to be working for a company? or have your own ABN? or do you just call the even organiser and ask?

I get media credentials to lots of motorsports related events. You typically have to be "working media", meaning you have to be on assignment to cover the event for a specific media outlet. For example, I'm a writer/photographer for places like MX Affiliate Magazine, About.com and some ATV magazines, and I covered a couple of Freestyle Motocross events at the Pamona Fairplex (California) this month for the MX magazine. (Some shots on my flickr page)

Some smaller events you can often talk your way into getting credentials, but it usually doesn't work if you just show up at the event with a nice camera and ask to get in. You have to call the organizer and arrange it.

Best seats in the house! Usually get access to most everything, including track access, interviews at the podiums, food and drink, clean bathrooms etc. It's very cool.

Once in a while I try to get credentials for the wife so she can go with me. They make for great dates when we can pawn the groms off on Teacher. :lmao:

Last edited:
So if I was to be covering the event for a writeup on a website that would be ok?

How do you obtain 'media credentials'?

In the end, is it just about phoning around to try and get a hold of someone who can send you a 'press pass' or something?

So if I was to be covering the event for a writeup on a website that would be ok?

It pretty much has to be a well known (read "popular") website. I work for some pretty high profile places so it's easy for me. It got much easier when I got The New York Times on my resume. :thumbup:

How do you obtain 'media credentials'?
You have to contact the media relations people and fill out their forms for the specific event.

In the end, is it just about phoning around to try and get a hold of someone who can send you a 'press pass' or something?
Not really. It's more about finding out who's in charge of media relations and convincing them that you can make it worth their while to grant you free access. In other words, you have to be able to advertise for them. Get the word (or pictures and words) out.

In a single day I have the ability to reach over a hundred thousand people if I coordinate publishing something on the same day at all the places I freelance for. Literally. And that's just for motorsports (ATVs, offroading and motocross)

And that's what promoters are looking for. It's taken me almost 3 years to get to where I am, but so far it's been fun and well worth it. I love my (part time) job! :lmao:

Last edited:
Well I usually contact the dessication maker before hand and ask for a photopass. Surpriseingly alot say yes. :p

[Dillz];1732957 said:
Well I usually contact the dessication maker before hand and ask for a photopass. Surpriseingly alot say yes. :p

You mean "decision maker" right? (At first I kind of read something that sounded like defecation maker :lol: ) Yeah, that would be media relations that I mentioned. And like I said, at smaller events media relations (often times the promoter in these small events) will let more people into the event who are not working media so they can try to get more interest built up. :mrgreen:

If you are not working for anyone specific, having an online portfolio is a great start. The few forms i have filled out often ask for examples of your work / online portfolios. While flickr is nice, its not usually considered professional.

If you are still in school, see about doing photos / writing for your school paper and work your way from there. Or try and hit up a local / community newspaper. I often see many articles that are accompanied by crappy photos, so offering your services to accompany a journalist might work.

When starting out, you won't be shooting the Rolling Stones or covering the Montreal Canadians.

Getting yourself known, getting yourself liked, building a rep and a portfolio are really important. Be persistent, don't be annoying, and remember that there is no harm in asking anyone for anything.

Thanks for the info guys

I at least run a website with forums that I can back onto but it depends what event it will be as to whether they will believe the article is being done for the site :p

Not in school, but looking to get a portfolio put together, so I would like to try and get closer to the action I'll be shooting so in the end the photo's are better.

I have a website setup and ready with a decent image viewer, so i just need to start getting the photo's to put on there!

How do you normally find the right person to contact?

Check websites etc.? And go to the promotor/marketing/media relations person?

What are some types of events you would suggest for a beginner, not really working for any companies, to get some good shots to add to portfolio?

What are some types of events you would suggest for a beginner, not really working for any companies, to get some good shots to add to portfolio?

Bar bands or independent touring bands. Golf. Shell out the bucks for a good seat behind the dugout at a baseball game (once there you can generally walk to anywhere because you are already past the LL security, plus in the worst case you still have a good seat...buts its a little late probably).

But those are all ones you will probably pay for. I don't see anyone who is a competent business man giving you, or anyone for that matter, a free pass without working for a very well known company.

Keep in mind I'm from Australia :p so baseball games are basically non existant.

What about places that you can normally get a good seat at anyway, that are great for photo's worthy of adding to ones first portfolio?

Any photo that is well done, a great moment captured is worthy of a portfolio. these moments can happen at pro games or at junior games.

You have to start somewhere. Do you have friends who are into an organised sport?

Not really... I suppose it's not hard to just attend games whenever and whereever they are on. I don't have much of a zoom lens though, only a 55-200

That should be good for starters and fine if you are shooting in sunny / bright situations.

If you find that you can't get the reach, you can look into the 70-300 lenses. Smaller events will usually allow you to be closer to the action and thus the 200mm on your lens should be fine.

Pro events have you usually further away, needing a longer lens such as a 300,400 or even 600mm

Most reactions

New Topics

Back