Pretentious Newb Photographers.

and if you take the text away the image is still what it is. But people are not going to pay to hang that text on their walls. They did pay for the whole package..., I rest my case.

It ain't art by your definition maybe, but there is a place for it in this world. Everybody in it doesn't have your refined taste lol

I don't come down on either side, poster art isnt great art, but it still has a audience. Like the words on another thread, You might think its crap, that doesn't mean I have to.

mysteryscribe said:
It ain't art by your definition maybe, but there is a place for it in this world.
There are lots of different kinds and levels of art.
The Victorians had High and Low Arts. We would call Low Art 'Popular' Art these days, I think.
Your 'poster' Art is more properly called Commercial Art - and there is nothing wrong with it.

And if you take the text away of course the image works. That was my point.
It is when you put image and text together that the picture becomes an illustration to the text. D'uh!

Hertz van Rental said:
Hanging a picture on the wall is one thing. Posting it on a computer to look at on a monitor is something entirely different, surely ;)

i'm sure it could be different, but a frame isn't necessary when hanging a pic on a wall, why would a photographer or artist choose to mat and frame a piece of their work? Isn't it mostly an issue of presentation?

How is this "entirely different" from presenting a piece of work on a computer screen?

I have been watching the thread for a little while and it seems to be full of different views on signatures and borders. FIRST OF ALL, let me say that ass a "noob" myself the title to the thread, and the original post were kind of harsh and unwelcoming. People who are beginners expiriment and have to learn new things by TRYING new things. copywrighting is in everyones mind just because in our society now there's the "everyone's out to screw me" feeling. When I did painting i signed the bottom right corner of every picture, because it was my art.....and it was my way of noting that. This has been a good thread however, and it did not take the "rant" approach I thought it would with the orinal post, so I guess it turned out ok. I would still change the title........it's just not welcoming to be a newcomer to the forum or photography and see "Pretentious Newb Photographers"

It kind of makes it look like the forum ha close minded professionals who don't have time for noob photographers and their silly questions, which I have not found to be the case. Actually I have discovered just the opposite, a welcoming helpful atmosphere.

I think everyone will have a different opinion on frames depending purley on thier tastes. I personally use either black or white 'boarders' around my pictures when presenting on this forum. For me, this helps the image colour stand out best, rather than being on this blue/gray forum backdrop. I'v always presented my artwork in a similar way, my porfolio for example has black or white pages... i wouldn't use any other colour to present my work. However, my background being in art and design, i think those OTT hand made paper / huge drop shadow / multipul colour layerd, preset design package frames... are vile. I dont mind watermarks but I dont go for huge signitures either.... a photo doesn't need it.

you think noob PHOTOGRAPHERS are pretencious? going to an art school has taught me a few things, one being that ALL artists are pretencious until they have been ripped to shreds (which happens all the day pretty much in different classes). It doesnt bother me anymore, and Im sure that many people would call me pretencious (which is fine, its for the love of the art, not the reputation).

The only thing I dont agree with is glaming up a snapshot taken with a point-'n-shoot camera in the school stairway with nothing redeeming about it and giving it some really prententious name (i.e. "Untitled: Stairway of Failure"). If you are going to create something that makes fun or satires this or the whole subculture of people that are known for doing it (*cough*emogothart****cough*) then it is a whole different ballgame. Its really a very hard game to pin-point in a lot of cases, for me at least) when someone is being pretencious, but its usually found in a combination of the title of the work in contrast to what the work actually shows/depicts. Borders and signatures (which I definately use both of to showcase pictures I like) are simply an aesthetical tactic in presentation IMO.

The reason I giggled hurtz is I knew your reaction in advance... I am not kidding myself I shoot to sell.. I only want to impress enough people to find one who will buy. We think a lot more alike than you can imagine. I just don't mind admitting that everyone doesn't have to see things my way lol. Down boy.

To all the rest of you guys thats what great about this forum that I didn't have forty years ago. Somebody had return what I thought was fine art because the colors didn't match her bathroom before I learned that it might be art to us, but it's a picture to them.

So listen to those other old guys who know and save yourself some grief.

pfleck86 said:
going to an art school has taught me a few things, one being that ALL artists are pretencious until they have been ripped to shreds

Deciding who is and isn't a pretentious artist is a subjective argument. An artist one person thinks is pretentious, another could think is genuine and heartfelt.

Archangel said:
I personally use either black or white 'boarders' around my pictures when presenting on this forum. For me, this helps the image colour stand out best, rather than being on this blue/gray forum backdrop.

this is one of the reasons i sometimes put a border on my photos when posting here, even if it's just a 1 pixel black line. The wishy-washy pale blue background seems to drain the colour from a photo

JTHphoto said:
How is this "entirely different" from presenting a piece of work on a computer screen?
If you can't tell the difference between a real object on a wall and an electronically created object on a TV then you need help :lol:

Sorry. Being a little Zen there.
It's all to do with the role the frame actually plays.
What is a frame doing to a picture?
How is a TV different from a wall?
What is the difference between the frame around a painting and a frame around a photo (and there is one)?
What is the Social significance of the 'frame'?
If a computer monitor is itself within a frame, then a frame within a frame...?

A frame by any other name would work as well.

On sub-titles: one of Arbus' more powerful prints [of a woman, back toward the camera, seated before a cracked mirror] included one.

And while we're at it: where would Magritte's 'This is not a pipe' be without 'This is not a pipe?'

Torus34 said:
And while we're at it: where would Magritte's 'This is not a pipe' be without 'This is not a pipe?'
It wouldn't have the joke - 'pipe' is Belgian slang for 'f*ck'.

There is rather a big difference, too, between adding text to a photograph and having text as part of a painting.
And you probably haven't noticed but there is a slight difference between painting and photography too.
But if I'm going too fast for you...

Most reactions

Back