Pretty blonde hair, blue eye for c&c

why didn't you use your 50 1.8? Pictures would have been A LOT sharper.

I sold that lens. I don't much care for primes when shooting kids anyways. Too much footwork and I miss too many things. I'm in the process of saving for a 2.8 zoom but I am undecided on which one.

I like the idea of the 1st photo. However, she is putting the weight of her whole face on her hand squishing the face and making her eye smaller.

I think the softness comes from the fact that you had your lens wide open for the focal length. You could try f/8 and see if you can get a sharper picture.

As mentioned already the pictureas seems a little cold. You should be able the teak the white balance easily enough. The framing in the second shot is a little off to me eye. I think the shot would look better if the bow was not cut off. Overall great work.

Her eyes seem lighter and more vibrantly colored in the 1st one. Lighting or PS?

For the lens you shot with I think the sharpness would be better if you were shooting around f7-8. I don't know if you sharpen in PP or not, but try to hit the "sweet spot" on your lens and it will be much more sharp.

I also own that lens. for a kit lens, that thing is decently sharp around f5-6-f11.

I also never shoot that lens wide open. Bellow 30-35mm the barrel distortion is kinda heavy.

4559352964_c7452f8aa9.jpg

Exposure0.01 sec (1/100)Aperturef/8.0Focal Length48 mmISO Speed200

as you can see, it gets really sharp at f8. no sharpening was added to this picture or any heavy pp.

Ack! You sold your 50mm prime? You don't like it for children's portraits?! I think my head may explode lol. That's probably my most go-to lens when I am shooting kids, and after that the AI-S 50mm 1.4 is next for shooting older children/teenagers who can hold still enough for me to MF.

Can I ask why you find it difficult to shoot with? I'm just curious and kinda baffled lol. Is it really all because of zooming with your feet? If so, that's truly a shame because primes are always so flattering for portraits (and much sharper at large apertures, IME).

If you're going to drop serious money on a lens, why not the 24-70mm 2.8? It's the next lens on my Tax Refund list, probably one of the few "portrait zooms" I'll ever purchase.

I'm not much of a portrait photographer, but speaking of prime lenses and the such, would my Konica 40mm f/1.8-f/22 be a good portrait lens? I noticed you saying that the 50mm prime was the go to lens so I was just curious.

I do like the shots! I agree they look a bit cold but none the less they are great photos!

It says your photos are ok to edit so I hope this is alright. I did a quick burn over the whole image, auto color enhance and sharpen a bit in GIMP image editor on Linux. I think it helped a little. If you are still having issues with the lens and want to keep it, look into doing some little things in Photoshop, Paintshop Pro, GIMP, et cetera maybe?

f547299b.jpg

Most reactions

Back