Price differences in filters

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by deadtoaster2, Apr 29, 2007.

1. deadtoaster2

deadtoaster2 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
  2. Alpha

Alpha Troll Extraordinaire

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Filters start getting expensive very fast once you break 60mm. It's important to remember that even with something like a polarizer, with its very specific purpose, you want to minimize the glass between lens and subject. If something has to be in between, it had better be good. With that said, when it comes to your basics like UV and colored filters, it doesn't make that much of a difference. It probably does a bit more when you start talking ND and PL's. If I had a choice, I would stick to the big makers, like Hoya and Tiffen, or anything with a major name on it like Canon, Nikon, Leica, etc.

3. xfloggingkylex

xfloggingkylex TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    most people here agree that for the most part, you get what you pay for when it comes to filters, with diminishing returns. when I bought a circular polarizer, I bought a multi coated Hoya.

4. panocho

panocho TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    the same kind of difference as between lenses, I guess. After all, it's just a matter of glass.
    If you use cheaper lenses, why not filters as well; a good filter won't make a bad lens good. Now if you have spent money on a good lens, don't make it a bad one by adding one "element" of considerably worse glass

5. fmw

fmw No longer a newbie, moving up!

Yes. $100+ dollars.

6. RMThompson

RMThompson the TPF moderators rock my world!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Also there are TWO types of polarizing filters, linear and circular.... there is a HUGE difference between the two when it comes to photography.

Linear doesn't play nice with the modern Autofocus and metering that rely on split-beam technology, which the modern TTL cameras use. The cicular filters DO however, so that's ONE reason they are more expensive.

Circular filters should only work in ONE direction whereas a linear one can be seen through both sides!

Here is an article on the web I found about it, that explains the more technical side: