Price for Canon Digital Rebel going down?

sulu

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,
I've been thinking of buying the Digital Rebel for a while. Last week, a salesman told me that Canon will come out soon with a new Digital SLR Camera which will push the price of the Digital Rebel down. Has anybody heard about this and could tell me a little more? I am really excited about this camera and don't know how much longer I can wait ...

Thanks a lot.
Sulu

sulu said:
Hi,
I've been thinking of buying the Digital Rebel for a while. Last week, a salesman told me that Canon will come out soon with a new Digital SLR Camera which will push the price of the Digital Rebel down. Has anybody heard about this and could tell me a little more? I am really excited about this camera and don't know how much longer I can wait ...

Thanks a lot.
Sulu

I have not heard anything but I would search the archives over at www.dpreview.com they would be sure to have anything like that if its true.

That would be nice if it's true.

I think I read that the D-Rebel is the top selling DSLR...therfore I don't think Canon will be in a hurry to drop the price. Maybe they will because of the competition from the Nikon D70...or maybe there is another competitor that will be coming down the pipe, that they want to stay ahead of.

Did the salesman mean the new 1D Mark II? I think it was just recently released and may not be available in some areas for a while yet. The question is where would a new DSLR fit into the mix? The D-Rebel is $1500 CDN, the 10D is $2400 and the 1D II is $6000. Unless a new one is close to the D-rebel in price...don't expect much of a price drop.

the only reason Canon is lowering the price on the rebel is because of Nikons new D70, and with 400 dollar difference between the two, Canon will probably sell even more then before.

They are trying to undercut Nikon, because they know how powerful the new D70 is. Since they just released the rebel, i highly doubt they will put out a new one. The next one most likely come out in the coming fall, but not right away.

I *think* but am not sure that the next Digital SLR coming out from Canon is a replacement for the 10D, after the 1D Mark II. but I could be dreaming.

i could see canon releasing a new version of the 10d in the near future, that may be the reason for the price drop of the 10d too.

wwjoeld said:
i could see canon releasing a new version of the 10d in the near future, that may be the reason for the price drop of the 10d too.

Do you think that could also affect the price of the 300D?

no i dont think so, because they want people to see the price difference between the 300d and the 10D(or newer model) and more people may make the jump to the 10D.

Has anyone heard anything about firmware hacks for the D-rebel? I think I was reading that someone was able to give the D-rebel some of the missing features that are available on the 10D.

Might have been just wishful thinking though :roll:

Here's a link with some "unconfirmed" information about the hacked firmware. From what I can tell, none of the really beneficial features have been unlocked, like mirror lockup, 2nd curtain flash, and flash exposure compensation, although there is a utility that you can use on your computer to change the flash power settings via your usb connection. The hacked firmware doesn't give me enough to want to void my warranty yet.

http://www.bahneman.com/liem/photos/tricks/digital-rebel-tricks.html

I don't remember when it was $2400, or maybe I remembered wrong but now the price is around $2000 CDN.

It's making the choice between the D-Rebel and the 10D pretty hard. I think the kicker for the Rebel is that is comes with the wide kit lens.

Most reactions

Back