Price for newbie photos...??

OK...one more question?? ;O)

Due to limited funds, I'm thinking that I'll choose several of my best pics and mat them. But I'm only having a couple copies of each pic (matted). I also have one of my pics in a larger frame, to show as an example!!

I'm wondering if instead, I should have serveral different pics, all matted...so that no 2 are alike? (Thus, giving the impression they are a one of a kind?), or should I stick to the above plan??

Hmmm...The more I think about it, the more I like the "one of a kind" idea!!! LOL!!!

Would it be silly to sell "one of a kind"...maybe number them?? If you number them, do you set out to do a specific number of prints?? Like a water-colour artist may do?? Then you'd number them, 1 of 20, or 50 or whatever!!

Alright...that was more than 1 question!! LOL!!

Hey, thanks everyone...I love that I can bounce this stuff off of you....you are all GREAT!!!

;O)

OK...one more question?? ;O)

Just one? :lmao:

I'm wondering if instead, I should have serveral different pics, all matted...so that no 2 are alike?

You can make several prints of each picture, but only keep one of each on display. When one sells, you put another in its place. ;)

Would it be silly to sell "one of a kind"...maybe number them??

See! I knew it wouldn't be just one more questions, ha ha ha. :hug::

Selling "one of a kind" really limits you. If you sell them as one of a kind, you CANNOT EVER sell them again.

If you number them, do you set out to do a specific number of prints?? Like a water-colour artist may do?? Then you'd number them, 1 of 20, or 50 or whatever!!

I did limited edition prints (that's what they're called, by the way), but keeping track of what sold and which number I was at just was too much for me to handle. People usually only collect limited editions from "known" artists/photographers and the fact that something is numbered just doesn't matter much in a craft show type environment. If people like the image, they'll buy it, whether it is numbered or not. I know a lot of photographers and artists who are getting away from the limited edition business.

Alright...that was more than 1 question!! LOL!!

That's ok. :wink: You are obviously excited about this new venture, which is perfectly natural.

Marian

That you so much Marian!!!! You've been a great help!!! :O)

~Kerry

Just thought I'd chime in to say that this thread has been really useful for me as well. I'm going to try this with some of my abstract digital pictures, then when I get some good shots with my new D40, I can add those too. Great Ideas...thanks.

Wow, full of good information.
Ide def. sell them matted. Ive had experience doing Art Shows.
People are more attracted to the contrast it gives to the actual print.
It also gives the appearance of being A valued one of a kind photograph.

Def. boost's up the class.
And Framing- ide proly set up orders.
With maybe a local frame shops catalog or your own modified ordering list.
so people have an option of the design. Limiting to one style. people are more likely to bu the matted and look for theyre own frame.
Wich is in a way a positive thing also. selling more moderalty priced prints in matte. Just depends on the level of technical's and Variety you want to enter.

Anyhow.
Very interesting how one question became a good source for us newcommers into the money making aspect of photography.
-Devin

Another thing to add...
A photographer I know, sells prints and all this stuff at craft/art shows. He also sells 'post cards'...basically a 4x6 print, but on card stock rather than plain photo paper. He sells them cheap, $2 or three for $5...but if you sell 50of those, it might pay for your table at the show. Plus, you can put your name/logo on the back and/or give them your card when they buy.

Most reactions

Back