price of lenses increased

Johnboy2978

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.johncountsphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I haven't bought a new lens in about 8 months and I'm now looking to add, what will likely be, my last lens. However, I noticed while searching prices on the Sigma 10-20 that the price of all the lenses I have, have increased a good 150-200 just in the last 6 months or so. Is that across the board w/ other brands or just the Pentax line up? What accounts for the sudden jump? Last I heard, Obama wasn't giving out photography stimulus money :) Did I miss something?

International currancy changes - essentailly the UK £ and the US $ crashed (you know that big recession thingy) but the Yen hasn't crashed so far (or chrashed yet) so in reletive terms as time has gone on your $ is worth less aginst the Yen and thus the camera prices have gone up.

Most companies have had rises of up to around 40% or so (Sigma had a big single rise up to that amount whilst Canon and Nikon rose by around the same, but in stages it seems).

And yes its ruddy annoying to say the least :(

Which seems odd because Canon is reporting a decent profit considering their loss in the overall market-share. I call shenanigans and price-fixen!

Double check what you're looking at. Have you noticed that in B&H's listing, many of those lenses have changed from f/4-5.6 to f/3.5 in the last few months too?
Sigma released a new version of this lens.

/EDIT: NEVERMIND I misread your post!

Maybe it's because they gave out stimulus money in Australia and people were spending it on lenses internationally given how the Aussie dollar has shot up :) Brb tinfoil hat needs to be properly earthed, one of the satellites is getting through.

Which seems odd because Canon is reporting a decent profit considering their loss in the overall market-share. I call shenanigans and price-fixen!
Ah, but Canon only derives about 15% of it's business from photography related goods.

A price change due to currency fluctuations, ie: dollars that worth less than previously, has nothing to do with the profitability of a company. Canon may actually be sending a particular lens out it's factory doors for the same amount of yens as they were 6 months ago. But now you have to spend more dollars to get the yens to buy the lens. Canon's profit margin on that lens has not changed.

However there are some side effects to your weaker dollar. Since fewer people are buying lenses, Canon may indeed have to raise some prices in order to maintain a certain level of profitability in that segment.

Most reactions

Back