Price of Mozy.com. Online Back-Up Help me understand

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by iflynething, Dec 14, 2009.

1. iflynething

iflynething TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I want to start backing up online starting next year.

Looking between Mozy and Carboinite. On Mozy's website. it has 2 different prices, one for $3.95 + $.50/GB PER MONTH for the Desktop license.

If I understand that correctly, that's $3.95 plus $.50x300GB = $150 per month?

Now I know that can't be right. What would be the point of online backup if you want to back-up all of your data?

I didn't not see anything on Carbonite.com about that kind of pricing. I"m trying to find "truly" unlimited storage but the $.50/GB PER month seems rediculous. Am I reading it wrong?

~Michael~

2. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the link. :lol:

Yep, $153.95 to backup 300GB.

From what I hear, it will take longer than a month to backup 300GB.

" Get one month FREE when you sign up for an annual account or three months FREE with a biennial subscription."

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  3. Brick

Brick TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I currently use Backblaze and am perfectly happy with it so far. It's $5/month for unlimited storage and you can get a free 15 day trial.

I have everything backed up to an additional hard drive as well, but at the cost of a latte per month it's definitely worth having a fail-safe in case of fire, theft, etc. :thumbup:

4. inTempus

inTempus TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I tried mozy and got a refund. I have about 400GB of images to backup and after waiting a week, I was about 8% complete. Their netowork is HORRIBLE. I talked to their tech support and they said there was nothing they could do. It's not my network connection, as you can see I have ample bandwidth:

[​IMG]

I tried Carbonite and discovered they don't allow you to back-up external drives. This doesn't do me any good as I store all of my images on an external 1TB drive.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  5. iflynething

iflynething TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I looked again and I think that was MozyPro.

For "normal" users, it's only $4.95/mo for unlimited storage. That's to my standards right there.

Why would they have a price of the $.50/GB/mo for the Pro service?

I guess this is what I get for not paying attention! DOH!

~Michael~

6. iflynething

iflynething TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You posted before I posted my response.

That not cool for it not to be able to back up external hard drives. I can see that you have great uploading. Thanks for that speedtest also. I usually use www.speakeasy.com/speedtest. Guess it doesn't matter, I get the same results. 5-6mb/s up and 500kps d/l.
    [​IMG]

~Michael~

7. ChiliPepr

ChiliPepr TPF Noob!

MozyHome works pretty well for me – on both Mac and PC. MozyPro needs a lot work, however – the interface is extremely convoluted and not user friendly at all.

Use the following link to get 20% more space on a free MozyHome 2 Gb account:

https://mozy.com/?code=D685JF

8. iflynething

iflynething TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the link. I saw the extra free 2GB account. I might try it and see how I like it..

~Michael~

9. dhilberg

dhilberg TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If you have large amounts of data you want to backup online, you might want to consider using external hard drives instead if you have Comcast. Not sure about Comcast in your area, but around here they just implemented a monthly cap of 250GB on data transfers. So backing up 400GB of images online wouldn't even be possible here. And if they haven't implemented it in your area yet, chances are it's coming.

10. inTempus

inTempus TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I've not gotten any notices, I'll have to look into my service agreement. I don't recall any caps ever being placed on my bandwidth. That's not to say they haven't changed something.

In your area, what happens when you go over 250GB? Do they charge you by the GB or do they just shut your service off?

11. c.cloudwalker

c.cloudwalker TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I haven't seen any changes here either. Yet. :lol:

But is the cap on uploads? They've been talking about capping downloads for a while because mostly of people downloading movies and such (at least that's the official story) but I don't remember reading anything about downloads.

Back to the subject of the OP. Just a little food for thought. Having a pretty good idea of the state of security on the internet (and in general) I will not back up anything to an internet site myself. I have too much sensitive info and content on my computers to just trust some company out there.

To anyone in my position I suggest looking at the possibilities through the use of Freenet.

12. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Wow, at those prices,and with your upload speed, it would make more sense to buy your own NAS or Network Attached Storage drive, like a Buffalo Terastation for example, configure it, and then put it on-line at a friend or relative's house if you want safe off-site backup. If you had large amounts of data to transfer, you could go over to the location of the drive and connect to the drive directly, and load it up off of DVD's, a laptop with hard drive,etc,etc.

The safety and permanence of on-line back-up services is suspect these days, in my opinion. Remember what happened with Digital Railroad late last year? They ran into financial difficulties, and people were told they'd be turning off the servers in such a short period of time that customers were unable to retrieve their "backed up" data on the overloaded network that before the lights went out, many people were left high and dry.