Pricing Collectible Cameras

Mitica100

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
About time we have a thread on pricing the collectibles...

Here is a first link:

COLLECTIBLEND

Holy wow I could potentially have a hell of a turn over on a couple of mine

http://collectiblend.com/Cameras/Zeiss-Ikon/Box-Tengor-54-2.html - Paid $6 USD for mine W/ lether case

http://collectiblend.com/Cameras/Leitz/Leica-IIIf-(black-dial).html - Paid $256.00 for mine w/lens and lether case.

Now I have to look for some of the others just to find out.

:lol::lol:

True, but you'd have to find buyers... I would realistically price everything on that site at about 30% of what they say it's worth. Not only my opinion but other members' from an international camera collectors forum as well.

:lol::lol:

True, but you'd have to find buyers... I would realistically price everything on that site at about 30% of what they say it's worth. Not only my opinion but other members' from an international camera collectors forum as well.

Yeah I know, hence the "potentially" :lmao:

Then again out of curiousity I checked my daily user and found their estimates right in the ball park of what I paid for my two.

Theit estimate on the AE-1 is a little high though

Some ideas on the factors that help in pricing your collectible cameras (quoted from another Forum on the Internet):

"1. Scarcity. If they are everywhere, they aren't going to appreciate much in value. Some cameras have been so successful in the marketplace that they will never become valuable.

2. Condition. Shutterbug magazine's grading system is the most prevalent but is by no means the only grading system in use by dealers. To get an entertaining overview on how one dealer grades his cameras, we recommend you read the method used by Pacific Rim Camera in Salem, Oregon. http://www.pacificrimcamera.com/misc/grading.htm

3. Comparables. Visit several dealers' web sites and examine ads in Shutterbug magazine to determine what an item is being sold for. Sometimes you will find many dealers charging almost the same price; other times you will find the same item with supposedly the same condition being sold by different dealers for vastly different prices.

4. The Marketplace. Ultimately the selling price of a collectible camera represents what someone is willing to pay for it. There has been a substantial increase in collectible cameras in just the past five years, perhaps a 50% increase or more.

Realize that the buying price (the price a dealer pays for a collectible camera) will usually be less than half of what he plans to sell it for."

Last edited:
Wow great site, even if the quotes are inflated its still nice to have a refrence ballpark value, and since I collect my film cameras from thrift stores mainly I pay next to nothing.

Ive got a camera collection that site says is worth 201 dollars at the low end of everything

I paid 100 (so far, exluding my SLR, which isnt a collectable) for my cameras!!! Its pretty cool knowing my camera collection has the potential to make me well over 100% more than what I paid!

I cant wait till i get my DSLR!!! its driving me crazy not buying cameras!! GRR!!!

For those who do not know, there is a very good book called

"Price Guide to Antique and Classic Cameras" by McKeown

Yeah, the McKeown is considered the 'Bible' of camera collectors and I wouldn't imagine any serious collector without a copy.

Hello-

I just acquired several vintage cameras. They are all in excellent to mint condition and all have leather cases. Pictures can be posted if anyone is interested. They are:

Kodak Pony 135
Kodak Signet 35
Argus Argoflex Seventy Five
Revere 40B, 8mm
Bell & Howell Magazine Camera 172, 8mm
General Electric Exposure meter, PR-1

Does anyone have any idea on 1) what these cameras are worth, 2) where I can sell them. I have already looked at eBay.

Thanks,
Pamela :thumbup:

Yes, we have ideas. But you'll need to check for the functionality of the cameras. As in, do they work?

The link above (Collectiblend) should give you an idea.

Based on what you describe to have acquired (and I hope you didn't pay too much for these items) and assuming they are all in working order, I would say the entire lot is valued at about $50, on the generous side.

In my opinion Dimitri is underestimating the value, but yes, this collection doesn't cost a lot. I'd say it's about $100 if condition is really excellent...

Last edited:
All the cameras are in working order. They belonged to my mom and were taken care of very careful. Thanks for your input.

Pamela

The one in your collection with the most $ value is the Signet 35 as it
is a bit of a "cult camera" and is sought after by vintage camera shooters.
Nice ones that are fully working sell for about $30 to maybe $50 for a really
mint one.

The Pony and Argus 75 are maybe 5 to maybe 10 bucks if you can find a
buyer unless the Pony has an Angenieux lens which would add value.

The other items would be maybe $5 each if you could find a buyer. They
aren't in much demand.

In my opinion Dimitri is underestimating the value, but yes, this collection doesn't cost a lot. I'd say it's about $100 if condition is really excellent...

As has been said earlier, these prices are highly dependant on finding a buyer, there is a rareity element, Collectors don't want common cameras. Yes, some may buy them just to have them but they are not going to be willing to pay an exorbitant amount of money to accuire a camera that is readilly available. For example, that Kodak Pony, I was strolling through the local antiques mall the other day and saw well over half a dozen of them, all but one was priced in the single didgets...and not selling. You want to see high priced classic cameras that will sell at triple didget prices, you have to go back to before mass production like the 8X10 view camera I saw go for $110 (USD) in less than a week, or look for the cameras that flopped and sold poorly like the Olympus FTL.

Most reactions

Back