Pricing Collectible Cameras

Even if the quotes are inflated its still nice to have a reference ballpark value it.

Even if the quotes are inflated its still nice to have a reference ballpark value it.

What do you mean by 'inflated'? These prices were realized prices following an auction at a serious auction house. The prices on collectible cameras are dictated by:

1) scarcity
2) condition
3) brand/model
4) need for

Perhaps the order can be changed after the scarcity factor. A nice, beautiful working Leica could be worth a lot less than a mangy toy camera if that toy camera was made in very small numbers, for example.

There are certain materials to read and understand about value of collectible cameras, such as McKeown, considered to be the 'Bible' of camera collectors. Also, frequenting some of the collectible cameras forums will help understand how the cameras are priced and why.

Few other resources:

If you want a low estimate:
Free No-Obligation Instant Quotes

Another site:
Used Camera Trade Ins; Buy & Sell Used Cameras 35mm & Digital Equipment - Camera Repair dot Com
(claims to have auction prices, but they're not always realistic)

Another obvious one if you're willing to fill in the forms:
Sell Your Digital & Film Cameras, Lenses & Accessories - KEH.com

Just multiply by ~1.5 for typical worth.

Yeah, there are many other places (older user equipment purchasing) which will give you less than what the camera is worth. The difference between these places and Collectiblend is that while Collectiblend tends to list actual prices realized in various auctions, the used camera dealers will offer you (as you mention) a lower or much lower price in order for them to make a profit. Someone not knowing what they might have will take the offer and most likely lose $$ at the time. But these places are worth checking as well, as a second reference. I still stand by the McKeown and Collectiblend as giving a more realistic collectible value.

For detailed Classic camera and lens price guides with a focus on Leica, Rolleiflex and classic LF lenses, please also check out www.antiquecameras.net for many price guides that are frequently updated and adjusted. First published in the Winter of 2004

Thanks !

Last edited:
Probably the best way way to get a true price on your collectable cameras is to go to camera fairs. Some of the stall holders area also collectors. If your model camera is there you should get a good idea of the price for the camera. These prices are usually very reasonable and negotiable.

Probably the best way way to get a true price on your collectable cameras is to go to camera fairs. Some of the stall holders area also collectors. If your model camera is there you should get a good idea of the price for the camera. These prices are usually very reasonable and negotiable.

Yeah. Unfortunately Camera Fairs are rare nowadays and far away. With the availability of info on the Internet I find it much easier to find references. Just my two cents...

hmmm. it seems pretty spot on for my yashica minister-d, from my own personal serching. ranging from $10 bottom end, to $50 pristine. however, my other camera, a pentax p30t, it states as $140 low end average, all the way up to $340 for top notch.... this seems really high, i found a couple for sell online in decent working condition for around $30 or so....... am i missing something?

^ No, you're not missing anything.

$340 for a P30T these days is wild fiction.

I have been trying to post a question about a Balda camera, but it is not here.
It appears on the page when I post it, but when I come back to see if there is an answer, it is gone.
Can someone explain why this is happening?

I have been trying to post a question about a Balda camera, but it is not here.
It appears on the page when I post it, but when I come back to see if there is an answer, it is gone.
Can someone explain why this is happening?

Yeah, I moved your post in a more visible and appropriate thread. If you care to search for it you will find it. If not, here's a hint: Click here.

okay so im new here. i just found a Diax Ia in my Basement it has a Schneider 45 f2.8 lens on it amd works just fine i was trying to find out how much this guy was worth but unfortuanly cant find any of them on the web that have sold or are even for sale think you guys could help me out

Most reactions

Back