Pricing Collectible Cameras

Discussion in 'Collector's Corner' started by Mitica100, Nov 29, 2008.

1. dtar3

dtar3 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    BlackSheep,
    Thank you, I am in upstate NY

2. BlackSheep

BlackSheep No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
  3. john.margetts

john.margetts No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    As Graham Smith intimated, film cameras are worth very little. I have a number of professional cameras in top condition that I paid less than £20 for. Get them appraised by all means, but don't have high expectations.

Sent from my A1-840 using Tapatalk

4. compur

compur No longer a newbie, moving up!

To my knowledge the only people who appraise film cameras are dealers who, like any dealer in used merchandise, will offer you an amount that will give them a profit when they sell them on. For example, you can send them to KEH and they will inspect them and make an offer. Or, you can bring them to one of the big NY camera shops like B&H. But, don't expect much.

5. sniper x

sniper x TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Funny how people here in Albuquerque New Mexico, one of the poorest states and large cities in the nation, think they can get top dollar for the gear they found in their Moms closet. I don't blame them for trying, might as well. However, the stuff sits on Craigslist for six months and sits, and sits....

So far I have gotten lucky with a few purchases after an offer made is immediately accepted. I love collecting vintage Canons so I'll keep trying to find those great deals. Looking for the old Kodaks as well.....starting to see them at really good prices. Too bad all are in Santa Fe, I'll have to make a day trip up there. Take the BMW motorcycle out for a ride thru Madrid!

6. sniper x

sniper x TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    This is so true. I have seen or heard of many who think the camera dealers are going to give them top dollar and find out they are offered 1/4th what they have seen cameras or gear offered for on Ebay.

7. dtar3

dtar3 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Just to clarify, these are Leicas, Nikon/Nikkors, Rollei, Minox, Voigtlander and the likes. Collected by a camera store owner and collector, all with original cases.. there are about 15 Leica cameras, including a 1925 Leica 1. I wont be selling all of them, but if someone is interested I posted a thread in the Buy/sell forum.

8. sniper x

sniper x TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Dtar3, even though they are what they are, the advise given doesn't change. Seems everytime I need to check a "going price" on a camera, a quick google search and a couple more pinpoint searches provide some good information. Whether it is a common affordable camera like a Canon F1, or a super rare Leica or such, doesn't seem to make much if any differnece.

9. dtar3

dtar3 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Sniper x, Thank you for your advice. I have been browsing Collectiblends database to gain more information and value on the cameras.. I appreciate the guidance!