Pricing commercial job.

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by judson, May 25, 2008.

1. judson

judson TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I have been approached about shooting for a brochure to be used at a trade show. Never done anything like that before. I'm curious, what some thoughts on the going rate for something like that. THere's a little travel involved. Less than 100 miles each way.

Thanks!

2. astrostu

astrostu Guest

I can't help you with a dollar amount, but those that can will probably ask for more information. Like, how many photos? Are you doing the brochure? What's the intended distribution? Will they own the photos or are they just licensing them? Are you getting reimbursed for travel?

3. judson

judson TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    What I know about the project so far. Photographing items this company produces to be used at an international trade show. I'm not sure how many photos will be needed and if it will be anything other than photographing products. The company is owned by a friend of mine, who asked me about doing that a couple of days ago. We are going to meet sometime in the next few days to discuss this. Commercial is something I have never done so I'm clueless in this area.

Thanks!

4. astrostu

astrostu Guest

My rule of thumb with this (though I've only done it once) is to let them make an offer and then determine if you're comfortable with that amount. A few things to keep in mind are:

- How much money will YOUR photography help THEM make?
    - How many people will see it, and if you think the money is a little low, then ask if you can get your name on it as photo credit.
    - Are they just buying the photos outright (should charge more) or licensing them (should charge less since you could potentially re-sell them at some other time)?

One thing you could do in preparation is to go to some stock photography sites (not the cheap-o ones like istock.com or whatever, but ones actual ad industry uses) pick out a similar photo, plug-in what you think their use would be, and see how much it would cost from the stock site.

In my situation, I was contacted by an ad agency wanting to use 4 of my moon photos in an ad for Elizabeth Arden (giant cosmetics company). They wanted 1-year unlimited world-wide usage in all media types. Their offer was $3k. Based on the stock photo sites, they "should've" paid ~$12k PER IMAGE. However, when I mentioned that their offer seemed a little low, she said that it was all she could afford in her budget for the ad. I wasn't sure if I believed her, but on the other hand, it was $3k for photos I already had and hadn't intended to sell, so I did it.

5. judson

judson TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    What are some of the good stock photo sites? The one's I am familiar with are the really cheap ones (e.g. Istock.com, etc.)

Thanks!

6. astrostu

astrostu Guest

corbis.com is one that my Aunt (graphic designer) recommended.