Pricing for my gear

I did pre-order the D850. It will replace my D600. For many it will replace the D810. Meaning: There will be a lot more D810 bodies in the market soon and the prices will go down. If you can wait....

That's a very good point. I'm just going pick up my lens and upgrade the camera later

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

One thing you will find when you go to sell your "kit" lenses, is that they will not yield much money. Avoid being depressed over that, and move on.

I feel that 1.900 for a used D810 is not the best price you can find. A quick search through "sold items" on US eBay shows that 1600 seems to be a good price if you are ready to wait a while.

But: For half the price you can get a D600 which is nearly as good and you still have a lot of money left for lenses, new and used.

The trinity is nice but zooming is not for everyone and every situation. The 14-24 is very good but I did only use it as a 2.8/14, which does not exist in comparable quality as a prime. The optical quality of the pro zooms is phantastic and the AF speed generally better than most of the Nikkor primes.

It is thus not the optical Quality that made me buy prime lenses although they were more expensive. It is the fact that I am used to work with two bodies and two primes and my field of work is not in sports and action.

I was just on eBay and saw some decent pricing. I was just concerned with buying one from eBay and it not being an authorized dealer and later down the road it costing me a ton of money to repair (if needed). The used one I saw was from one of the supporting vendors on here (I can't remember which). I saw a brand new one on eBay for $2100. So if I was to go the eBay route I might as well spend the extra and get the new one unless a deal I can't pass up came across.

At the end of the day I may just stick with my original plan and get the 14-24mm and wait on the FF. Maybe come spring the prices will drop and I can find an even better deal but who knows

Sent from my iPad using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

eBay ist about 100% reliability.

Powesellers and commercial vendors might have 99.9 or 99.8 which is still superb.

You should buy from people who sell similar stuff all the time and as a US customer watch for genuine US stuff because Nikon USA can be difficult when it comes to repairing stuff they consider "grey market" a term and concept non existent in Europe possibly due to regulations.

I feel that 1.900 for a used D810 is not the best price you can find. A quick search through "sold items" on US eBay shows that 1600 seems to be a good price if you are ready to wait a while.

But: For half the price you can get a D600 which is nearly as good and you still have a lot of money left for lenses, new and used.

The trinity is nice but zooming is not for everyone and every situation. The 14-24 is very good but I did only use it as a 2.8/14, which does not exist in comparable quality as a prime. The optical quality of the pro zooms is phantastic and the AF speed generally better than most of the Nikkor primes.

It is thus not the optical Quality that made me buy prime lenses although they were more expensive. It is the fact that I am used to work with two bodies and two primes and my field of work is not in sports and action.

I was just on eBay and saw some decent pricing. I was just concerned with buying one from eBay and it not being an authorized dealer and later down the road it costing me a ton of money to repair (if needed). The used one I saw was from one of the supporting vendors on here (I can't remember which). I saw a brand new one on eBay for $2100. So if I was to go the eBay route I might as well spend the extra and get the new one unless a deal I can't pass up came across.

At the end of the day I may just stick with my original plan and get the 14-24mm and wait on the FF. Maybe come spring the prices will drop and I can find an even better deal but who knows

Sent from my iPad using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

eBay ist about 100% reliability.

Powesellers and commercial vendors might have 99.9 or 99.8 which is still superb.

You should buy from people who sell similar stuff all the time and as a US customer watch for genuine US stuff because Nikon USA can be difficult when it comes to repairing stuff they consider "grey market" a term and concept non existent in Europe possibly due to regulations.

Yes. I was looking for sellers this morning that had Nikon Authorized logos. There's not a lot. I'm just debating if I should buy from Adorama since they are authorized seller just to be safe or saving a few bucks and chancing eBay.

I passed on a D800e with 1,004 shots for $1,200 US at a brick and mortar store about 5 weeks back...

Derrell: that is the spirit. Did you by chance check if Nikon USA would repair it? 1200 is a great deal on a D800e. Are the brick and mortars required to guarantee for the sold items as they are here?

Having used the D600 heavily in a professional environment I can only repeat to consider her too. I have seen her as low click used with original battery grip for 700€.

Because I love her tonal response so much I even contemplate to keep her after acquiring the D850. Only the D3 will have to go. She cannot even compete with my D500 in any respect. And the D3 used to be my great love at her time (bought her new in Apr 2008). She definitely needs a lot of good light to create soft and pleasing tonality. As the light gets harsh or low her color and coarseness get rough and unpleasing.

The D810 has similar qualities when it comes to tonal response as the D600 plus she features a better spatial resolution than the D600. The D800e is not as good in this respect as the D810. The D500 is rather perfect and analytical, but she keeps colours consistent even under the worst of conditions. I have a picture of an icon in a dark corner of a church taken at 20000 ISO. The light was a converter bulb. The gold and all the colours are reproduced in a way that would allow for a large placard to be printed from that file. Wow!

Last edited:
Anyone bought/used the extended warranty from Adorama? It's $30 for 3 years. I know I had to have a lens repaired one time and it cost me $220 from Nikon. Just checking to see if anyone has every used it and was it worth it. I'm buying the 14-24mm nikon lens today [emoji3][emoji3][emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]

Anyone bought/used the extended warranty from Adorama? It's $30 for 3 years. I know I had to have a lens repaired one time and it cost me $220 from Nikon. Just checking to see if anyone has every used it and was it worth it. I'm buying the 14-24mm nikon lens today [emoji3][emoji3][emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]

I bought several items from Adorama and Abe's of Maine. I never came across the idea to have them serviced in the USA. Nikon stuff generally does not fail often and if in my cases it was user error. Only once I had a guarantee fail. It was Nikon Europe stuff and it was serviced fast and free of charge.

To come back to you question: 30 Dollars is not much, so in your shoes I would check the conditions. If they repair everything free of charge it is a very good deal. If the terms are quirky and they will not repair anything in real life you can save the money. Better ask a friend who is fluid in law speak for a translation of the terms.

Thanks for all the help!!!! I just ordered the 12mm-24mm nikon lens. Used rating of "E". $1400 shipped (2day). Looking forward using this lens. If it's not in condition i would expect it to i. An return it but I'm sure it will be fine.

Now on to waiting for the 810 to drop in price. I decided to defiantly not trade or sell my stuff to the camera stores. I was quoted high end $379 for my d7100. I'd rather keep it for a back up and give my D3300 to my son

The D7100 is a very good camera. For under 400 it is a bargain to buy but not to sell

So I went out last night with the new lens and so far I really like it. I really really need to dedicate some time to LR for post processing. I am a new at that part. Here are a couple of pics from last night. There was a lot of light Polution (plus I suck a LR). Couldn't get LR to save to my computer so I had to take a pic of the screen One thing ill deff do next time is only do 15" instead of the 30". The stars started to streak a bit at 30"

Attachments

• IMG_3019.JPG
    IMG_3019.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 119

Most reactions

Back