Pricing for Wedding Photos

mcoppadge

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I just shot my first wedding on Saturday, for a friend, and for very very cheap (I'm lucky if what I was paid covered travel costs). I have three more weddings that I have been asked to do, for friends, and I actually want to make money this time. That's why I bought the equipment that I did. So my question is, how do you come up with prices for shooting a wedding? How can I know what is appropriate to charge and what is not, especially as an amateur?

This should be in the section reserved for the BUSINESS DISTRICT - GENERAL SHOP TALK, not here, really. :)

Before charging anything... you do a competitive analysis of your local area and base it on that. This is the *correct* answer. It may not be what you are looking for, though.

The correct answer is not based on your competitors. The correct answer is what it costs YOU to shoot for 12 hours. You need to consider everything. Check out the handy CODB calculator for starters NPPA: Cost of Doing Business Calculator

Certainly checking out the competition is a good idea. It is not something to base your business model on.

Love & Bass

It is at the start... if you are rushed, but I sure as hell would not go solely on my own costs if the bottom line is that the competition is shooting for 3 times more than I would be... I'd be losing out a lot of cash... however, there is a TON more to consider before turning professional wedding photographer than a good camera and a couple low/mid-range range lenses and what to charge.

Last edited:
The business calculator has nothing to do with gear. I think the thing to consider in this thread is: WHY ARE AMATEURS SHOOTING WEDDINGS? I am for free commerce and all, but so called photographers are quickly shooting themselves in the foot.

Love & Bass

WHY ARE AMATEURS SHOOTING WEDDINGS?

Because I have a camera, because I'm semi-good at using it, because I'm cheap, and because those who ask me don't have the money to pay a professional photographer. And no, it's not the thing to consider in this thread. Consider my situation, then leave relevant feedback.

Sorry about posting this here, Jerry. I don't have time to come around much and things have changed a lot lately...sometimes I don't know where to post things.

Last edited:
Semi good and cheap is a start. Why you would pull something like that is a question for another day. Topic at hand is what does it cost you to shoot for 12 hours? That is the basis of figuring out what to charge. Tell us what you come up with.

Love & Bass

How is it that these threads always turn into "what makes you qualified to shoot a wedding, you lowly amature?". If your friends have seen your work and want to hire you, go for it.
I've shot 3 weddings to date and the first one was a freebie. After that, I called some local photographers to see what they were charging. In my area, an average cost for wedding photography is about $1200-1500. There are certainly some statistical outlier photogs who charge much more/less. Anyway, the first one, I charged $600 considering lack of experience. I then raised my rates to $800 for my next one. Each time I do one, I will raise my rates until I am charging the "going rate". I direct everyone who is interested in hiring me to my website so they can see what to expect. If they're still agreeable, I will do it, but I don't really push my services on anyone and rarely hand out cards unless it's asked for. The reason is that I really just use this cash to feed the addiction, buy new glass, new gadgets, etc. I don't depend on this income. If I did it all over, I'd probably charge $600 for the first one and have gone up from there. The freebie service is a bad idea I think, but we've all been there and done that.

Cost of all gear/business expenses divided by the number of weddings per year = A

Cost of shooting a wedding (batteries, gas, prints, albums, etc...) = B

What you want to make per hour times how long it takes you to meet, plan, shoot, and process the wedding = C

Taxes (probably about 25% of your profits) = D

A + B + C + D = what you should charge to shoot a wedding

How much per hour does your experience level warrant? Only you can decide that.

The reason is that I really just use this cash to feed the addiction, buy new glass, new gadgets, etc. I don't depend on this income.

That's really all this is for me, too.

craig said:
Topic at hand is what does it cost you to shoot for 12 hours?

I wouldn't really know how to calculate this. Maybe just take a normal hourly wage plus travel plus miscellaneous expenses?

ksmattfish said:
How much per hour does your experience level warrant? Only you can decide that.

That's sort of what I'm trying to figure out. Logically, the more weddings I do the more I should learn about shooting weddings, therefore the better I should get each time. Or something like that.

I took a course about how to get started in wedding photography. The #1 point of the course was that experience should not affect your price...and the most common reason for failure was setting your price too low. You should set your prices to be competitive with other photographers in your area that you are comparable with, in terms of service and quality etc.

Now of course we all have to start somewhere...and if you need to shoot some weddings for less, in order to build up your portfolio, then that's what you have to do...but beware that you don't want to be known as the 'cheap photographer'.

Of course, if you are going to charge the 'going rate'...you had better be up to the challenge. You better have the right equipment (included back up gear) and you better know how to use it. If you can't do that, then you shouldn't be taking weddings...cheap or not.

One of the best ways to get started is to work with someone who has experience. It might be just assisting or it might be 2nd shooting etc. The point is to get some experience and 'on the job' training. Then when you are ready to go on your own and charge full prices, you should be fully qualified...so to speak.

I took a course about how to get started in wedding photography. The #1 point of the course was that experience should not affect your price...and the most common reason for failure was setting your price too low. You should set your prices to be competitive with other photographers in your area that you are comparable with, in terms of service and quality etc.

Now of course we all have to start somewhere...and if you need to shoot some weddings for less, in order to build up your portfolio, then that's what you have to do...but beware that you don't want to be known as the 'cheap photographer'.

Of course, if you are going to charge the 'going rate'...you had better be up to the challenge. You better have the right equipment (included back up gear) and you better know how to use it. If you can't do that, then you shouldn't be taking weddings...cheap or not.

One of the best ways to get started is to work with someone who has experience. It might be just assisting or it might be 2nd shooting etc. The point is to get some experience and 'on the job' training. Then when you are ready to go on your own and charge full prices, you should be fully qualified...so to speak.

This is very helpful and some great stuff to think about. Thanks.

This is a little off topic, but as a student, I have a work/study job with my university for the Public Relations department, and they're always needing photos of events on campus. Obviously, it's never the same as a wedding but it's always good practice learning how to use my equipment in different situations. Usually the photos only end up in the local papers, so it's not to much about quality, but I always try to get the best shot I can.

That's good. Any 'real world' shooting you can do..will probably benefit you. Skills you can work on would be knowing your settings and how to change them without thinking too much about it...or fumbling with the camera. Shooting people, with a lot of people around, is also a good skill that translates well to weddings.

Some of the lesser talked about skills that a wedding photographer needs...are the skills needed to round up people and command their attention. Not to mention dealing with all the personalities that you encounter at a wedding...including (but not limited to) the Bridzilla and M.O.B. (mother of Bride). ;)

We just recently changed our wedding prices. We started low because we were inexperienced and have gradually built up. I'd personally recommend finding out as much price information as you can about other local area photographers. Then step back and do a comparison of your skills and products with the other local photographers. Where do you fit? If you put yourself in your customers shoes, would your prices seem unreasonable?

I'm NOT getting involved in another newbie wanting to shoot weddings post... again.

It is totally their right if they want to screw up someone's pictures of an event that can NEVER be repeated again, and now I feel they SHOULD to do it, and then get get their sorry butts sued for giving the client substandard crap... lol.

I promote semi-good (OMG, what standards!!! :lol: ) newbies shooting weddings and I also promote legal actions right afterward too! :lmao:

Someone tie my hands before I *really* start posting about how I feel about this.

Most reactions

Back