Pricing??

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by Sinister_kid, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Sinister_kid

Sinister_kid TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Alright well I'm shooting a couple pictures for a small local business tonight and I don't know what I should charge the guy? I'm going to be doing just straight up portrait pictures of about 20-30 guys for the business' website.

The owner talked about compensation for doing the work but he never discussed details and we haven't quite talked about it yet. I won't be releasing any pictures until it's all figured out...

But my basic question is, should I charge an hourly rate or should I charge per picture? And what would be a good rate?

2. bennielou

bennielou TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    That should have all been worked out before you agreed to the job.
    Now, you are kind of stuck. You can charge whatever you want, but if the client doesn't agree, and there is obviously no contract, then you are just spinning your wheels.

As for pricing, had you worked it all out before, it would depend on your client, usage, expenditures, and the like.

3. r2glittiz

r2glittiz TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    are you going to give them the pictures via c.d or printed? I'd go for an hourly rate if I were you. Base the price on how much money you think they have :p

4. Sinister_kid

Sinister_kid TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I am giving them on a flash drive.

5. craig

craig TPF Noob!

Personally I would like to take this opportunity to say "are you on glue?" Maybe you are leaving out some details. Is this a group shot?

On this end 20-30 portraits is not a small job. I would have figured out every single detail and charged accordingly. I would have made sure that the price was agreed upon (down to the cent) before the work started.

Why is there a grey area in pricing photography? Are you running a small business or is this money to buy a lens?

Point is; do not screw your self and other photographers. Do some research before the project starts. Here on TPF we can only give tips. We can not tell you how much to charge or bid.

This should be a sticky: Do the research and treat photography with the respect it deserves. Figure out how much it costs you to show up and pull the trigger. Include wear on gear and everything. Blindly charging clients and or asking pricing advice from a bunch of random enthusiasts will do you no good

Love & Bass

6. benhasajeep

benhasajeep TPF Noob!

Unfortuantely like everyone said should have gone over pricing before agreement was made.

But, now that it has been made. It's what ever you can get without turning them off. What is the competition in the area? What type of business is it your doing this for? What quality are they looking for? They want simple head shots, or nice portraits? There are alot of variables you need to consider.

If they want simple head shots I would give a price per person. If it's good portraits they want then I would go with Quote based the entire shoot. I would shy away from hourly rate. When some people hear $45 and hour or more they get turned off. I firmly believe it's better to just give a quote for the full amount and leave out the hourly rate all together (except for overages for going beyond the contract terms, then it can be presented as Extra work, and the hourly rate does not seem so bad in those terms).