Pricing

RachRobPhotog said:

Your better off starting a new thread for critique. To post the photo from flickr - go to the share button (on Flickr) choose grab the code. Then copy and paste the bbcode here or in a new thread

MTVision said:
Your better off starting a new thread for critique. To post the photo from flickr - go to the share button (on Flickr) choose grab the code. Then copy and paste the bbcode here or in a new thread

Ok will do thanks. I was trying to do it from phone - not successful

To post an image here you want to go into the image on flickr and copy the image location (usually the medium size is good) and put it between the tags

We also need to know your settings: what mode were you in? What were you concentrating on or what was your purpose here? f/, shutter speed and ISO?

This first one has motion blur from using a slow shutter speed hand held. The exif data has been stripped from this.
6900051891_6a90f3a20b_z.jpg

The second one is nice, well exposed and has good color (as far as I can see on this darned computer I am on) but leaves me wondering what is the point? I am currently seeing the right side as black... but I am having troubles with calibration on this computer, so there may be detail in there. Otherwise it's too much on the contrast and needs a bit of detail.
This was taken with an iphone in auto. Definitely not what you'd be doing professional work with... I HOPE?
6900053421_52d1a4d879_z.jpg

This one is pretty OK for a headshot. I am going to avoid the color on it cuz I think I am seeing the totally wrong colors right now. It seems fairly well exposed and focused. it does read as if it was edited in PSE 10. Using flash would have kept the sky from needing to be edited and the subject well exposed.
6808427091_e814fe0cb8_z.jpg

MLeeK said:
To post an image here you want to go into the image on flickr and copy the image location (usually the medium size is good) and put it between the tags

We also need to know your settings: what mode were you in? What were you concentrating on or what was your purpose here? f/, shutter speed and ISO?

This first one has motion blur from using a slow shutter speed hand held. The exif data has been stripped from this.

The second one is nice, well exposed and has good color (as far as I can see on this darned computer I am on) but leaves me wondering what is the point? I am currently seeing the right side as black... but I am having troubles with calibration on this computer, so there may be detail in there. Otherwise it's too much on the contrast and needs a bit of detail.
This was taken with an iphone in auto. Definitely not what you'd be doing professional work with... I HOPE?

This one is pretty OK for a headshot. I am going to avoid the color on it cuz I think I am seeing the totally wrong colors right now. It seems fairly well exposed and focused. it does read as if it was edited in PSE 10. Using flash would have kept the sky from needing to be edited and the subject well exposed.

Lol nooo not using iPhone for professional work. I was focused on the tree and wondered why it was black on the side. :-/ thanks for feedback. I'll try and get the exit data

RachRobPhotog said:
Ok will do thanks. I was trying to do it from phone - not successful

On the iphone - If you use safari to go to Flickr. At the bottom you can choose not to use the mobile site and get access to the full site. If you do that you can post pictures like I explained by copying the bbcode and pasting here. It's kind of a pain in the ass but that's how I do it!

MTVision said:
On the iphone - If you use safari to go to Flickr. At the bottom you can choose not to use the mobile site and get access to the full site. If you do that you can post pictures like I explained by copying the bbcode and pasting here. It's kind of a pain in the ass but that's how I do it!

Lol ok thanks. I'll do that next time.

It's a bitter to swallow sometimes when new members who have been shooting pics and getting positive feedback from friends and family reach out to the internet for business help and then are told they should get back to the basics. Quite a few leave when they're not being told what they were hoping to hear. When your blog link was posted, I knew where this was heading.

Ok, so you've got a SmugMug account, now what? Stay and learn. Put only your best pics on your site. Leave out anything regarding prices and instead state your seeking individuals for portfolio development. I'm no authority on the biz side but after seeing more crash and burns than a French airbus testing facility on here, I'd like to offer up a quick way to get as much out of this site as possible:

1. Start a critique thread with no more than 4 of your best images in the genre in which you are most interested in. With each image list your exif data (f/ stop, ISO, shutter speed, if flash was used, what processing program, etc). You're going to get replies from beginners to advanced. That's good.
2. Before you post more for critique, spend time in the forums looking at images and comments. One thing I like to do in each forum is click on the "replies" tab at the top and it will re-sort the threads starting with the most replies to least. This will give you a start on the hot topics most discussed.
3. Before you start a thread, use the search function. 99.76% of questions have already been answered numerous times. Starting a thread like, "how do I post pictures" is already stickied at the top of the beginners forum. How do you post exif data? I guarantee you it's searchable.
4. KmH linked a thread in post #32. Read it. It's a classic case of crash and burn. In fact, most of the threads with several pages in the beginners forum are crash and burn type threads. Read those.
5. Keep shooting using the tips you've learned.

Or...you could tell me to bugger off and that's cool, too. :) Again, just some friendly help from the neighborhood goon squad. It's not absolute but a quide to get you settled around these parts.

Tee said:
It's a bitter to swallow sometimes when new members who have been shooting pics and getting positive feedback from friends and family reach out to the internet for business help and then are told they should get back to the basics. Quite a few leave when they're not being told what they were hoping to hear. When your blog link was posted, I knew where this was heading.

Ok, so you've got a SmugMug account, now what? Stay and learn. Put only your best pics on your site. Leave out anything regarding prices and instead state your seeking individuals for portfolio development. I'm no authority on the biz side but after seeing more crash and burns than a French airbus testing facility on here, I'd like to offer up a quick way to get as much out of this site as possible:

1. Start a critique thread with no more than 4 of your best images in the genre in which you are most interested in. With each image list your exif data (f/ stop, ISO, shutter speed, if flash was used, what processing program, etc). You're going to get replies from beginners to advanced. That's good.
2. Before you post more for critique, spend time in the forums looking at images and comments. One thing I like to do in each forum is click on the "replies" tab at the top and it will re-sort the threads starting with the most replies to least. This will give you a start on the hot topics most discussed.
3. Before you start a thread, use the search function. 99.76% of questions have already been answered numerous times. Starting a thread like, "how do I post pictures" is already stickied at the top of the beginners forum. How do you post exif data? I guarantee you it's searchable.
4. KmH linked a thread in post #32. Read it. It's a classic case of crash and burn. In fact, most of the threads with several pages in the beginners forum are crash and burn type threads. Read those.
5. Keep shooting using the tips you've learned.

Or...you could tell me to bugger off and that's cool, too. :) Again, just some friendly help from the neighborhood goon squad. It's not absolute but a quide to get you settled around these parts.

No appreciate every word. Thanks a bunch.

My dear, if you're seeking to be a professional photographer, you should learn the lesson early that everything you put on the internet is attached to you. Do you really think that a potential client is going to view those (very subpar and fundamentally flawed) images and think to themselves "Oh, that's just her blog...no worries"?

If you want to be a professional, you need to censor your online portfolio very critically. The only stuff you post as examples of your work (unless it's an image you delivered to a client, and in their personal gallery on your website) should be the very best stuff you've got. Only post your best.

Otherwise, you get people like me who see those images and think you've got a whole lot to learn before you should even think about charging a penny. Professional photographers don't post images with severe color balance, composition and exposure issues.

I'm not trying to hate, just offering some friendly critique. You need to be harder on yourself than any of your potential clients will be.

jamesbjenkins said:
My dear, if you're seeking to be a professional photographer, you should learn the lesson early that everything you put on the internet is attached to you. Do you really think that a potential client is going to view those (very subpar and fundamentally flawed) images and think to themselves "Oh, that's just her blog...no worries"?

If you want to be a professional, you need to censor your online portfolio very critically. The only stuff you post as examples of your work (unless it's an image you delivered to a client, and in their personal gallery on your website) should be the very best stuff you've got. Only post your best.

Otherwise, you get people like me who see those images and think you've got a whole lot to learn before you should even think about charging a penny. Professional photographers don't post images with severe color balance, composition and exposure issues.

I'm not trying to hate, just offering some friendly critique. You need to be harder on yourself than any of your potential clients will be.

Ok. Thanks for advice appreciate it.

Hi RachRob

The short answer is how much are you worth and what market are you going into. You could start by shooting for free and trying to sell the images shot (if you don't have a studio). Please don't be put off by anyone, just take your time and do some research into what people pay in your area. As said many time before, its not always about how good you are, but how you sell it.

We are all still learning, even the ones who have been doing this for years.

Kind regards

Oliver

Most reactions

New Topics

Back