Consumables (batteries, lunch etc...)
Equipment costs
Rental costs
Marketing costs
website/photo hosting
Software purchases
Taxes
and so on...

These are all the things you have to consider when figuring out your rate.

The two items I've put in bold text are two items which I've always questioned.

My gear and software are paid for several time over. How is charging someone for that a reasonable thing to do? Someone; Tirediron, I think, once said something about depreciation. At some point, you'll reach a point where the depreciation of the equipment levels out with the amount you're charging for depreciation. Do you stop charging for it at that point? Do you charge less? Are you charging someone for something just because they don't know better?

I can see charging for wear and tear. I know I needed to have both my 40D and my 5D repaired this summer. I think that type of charge is reasonable.

And I can also see putting a charge in place for consumables and meals, but I don't know that a one hour shoot warrants a lunch break...
I don't know about you, but I spend a large chunk of change on equipment and software. You better believe it should be included in your costs.

Oh, I've spent more than my fair share on equipment and software. I guess my question is how do you determine how much to charge for an individual's contribution (for lack of a better word) towards those things?

Oh, I've spent more than my fair share on equipment and software. I guess my question is how do you determine how much to charge for an individual's contribution (for lack of a better word) towards those things?

Think of it as if you are renting the gear from yourself to use for the job. Charge that back to the client.

If I only got five images out of a one hour session, I'd go back to bartending...

I can't say I disagree about this.

But this introduces the interesting part about photography. While I may or may not agree with the comments about my photography above, that's the beauty of art being subjective. I think it's fair, in my own personal opinion to provide a client was paying for an hour of photography to be provided 15 to 20 images. This is my own personal opinion. I'm in no way trying to undermine or undercut other photographers by offering cheaper prices, and I may not have the rapport and resume built up to validate packages at thousands of dollars. I have seen other photographers, in my area, who are recommended by very reputable magazines, and their work is, in my opinion, less than desirable. However, when you're building your own portfolio, the clients who like your material will ask you to take pictures of them and their family, or for their business. The standard for "professional quality" is somewhat skewed. I have seen several users, and even my friends, who provide photography but are less than ideal for my purposes and my subjection, who also charge a significant amount more than I do.

In the end, what you deliver should be accepted by your clientele, and they should be happy with what they paid for. Just because another photographer tells you that they would've done it differently, edited it differently, provided different prices, in the end, your client paid you for what you see through the lens.

Just include it in your CODB calculation. You can assume that in any given year, you will have to replace 'X' lenses, and 'Y' bodies. Add in the cost of a couple of flash-tubes, etc, and that gives you an estimated gear cost for the year. Divide by the expected number of sessions and that's how much gets added into the pricing structure for gear.

Let's start with the toddler session:
1 hour shoot, 1 location, 15-20 delivered final images $175
20 images out of a 1 hour session?????? :scratch:

Why is that so surprising?
Perhaps I'm slow, but I would find it very challenging, especially with family/newborn shooting to get a new pose set up and nailed every three minutes.

Would you do more or less?

If I got five images suitable for release to the client out of a 1 hour session I would be VERY pleased with myself!

If I only got five images out of a one hour session, I'd go back to bartending...
Corrected.

...a client was paying for an hour of photography to be provided 15 to 20 images.
Perhaps this is why I don't do a lot of work with children. How do you manage to get a different pose set up, lit, and nailed every three minutes? I can do that for headshots, easy, but family & children? You're a better man that I, Gunga Din!

In the end, what you deliver should be accepted by your clientele, and they should be happy with what they paid for. Just because another photographer tells you that they would've done it differently, edited it differently, provided different prices, in the end, your client paid you for what you see through the lens.

If you do nothing else, keep this attitude.

You have to please one person, and only one person: Your client. Period. Nothing else anyone says matters at the end of the day, simply because they're not the ones who are signing a check for you. If you can continue to do that (and it's easier than some would have you believe), you'll do fine...

Just include it in your CODB calculation. You can assume that in any given year, you will have to replace 'X' lenses, and 'Y' bodies. Add in the cost of a couple of flash-tubes, etc, and that gives you an estimated gear cost for the year. Divide by the expected number of sessions and that's how much gets added into the pricing structure for gear.

But, see, that's the thing. I don't replace my gear every year. I bought my 70-200 f/2.8L back in 2007. I'll be using it on the job this weekend. I've used it on jobs for the last six-plus years, and I have no reason to believe I won't use it for the next 6-1/2 years. The last body I purchased was almost three years ago. If a client asks me why I charge what I do, and I tell him it's because I'll need to have to replace a lens every year, that would be a lie. I don't. I honestly don't know of anyone who replaces lenses, or bodies for that matter, every year....

But, see, that's the thing. I don't replace my gear every year. I bought my 70-200 f/2.8L back in 2007. I'll be using it on the job this weekend. I've used it on jobs for the last six-plus years, and I have no reason to believe I won't use it for the next 6-1/2 years. The last body I purchased was almost three years ago. If a client asks me why I charge what I do, and I tell him it's because I'll need to have to replace a lens every year, that would be a lie. I don't. I honestly don't know of anyone who replaces lenses, or bodies for that matter, every year....
You missed the part in my earlier post about estimating the life of each piece of gear. For instance if you estimate the life of your 70-200 at ten years, and based on current trends figure it will cost $2700 in 2024, then you add in about eighty cents/day for that lens. Same applies to all your gear and especially software.

Corrected.

I would still go back to bartending.

One releasable shot every twelve minutes?
Like I said, maybe I'm slower than the average bear.... how long would it take you to set up, light and shoot two different poses of a family of four? For a one hour family session, I would try and get about 5-6 poses. That will translate into probably 35-40 images shot. From that, about half will get binned immediately due to blinking, expressions, etc. I will then reduce it so that the client has a maximum of three images (usually just two though) of any given pose to choose from, which normally results in about five images as the final, delivered product.

Do mechanics factor the price of their tools in the per hour repair costs? I just look at it as a need to have the gear to do the job I am charging for. If I have to spend $8000 on a new camera body this year it doesn't mean that I will bump my fees up to pay for it, same as when all my other camera bodies were done, I didn't drop my fee.

Do mechanics factor the price of their tools in the per hour repair costs? I just look at it as a need to have the gear to do the job I am charging for. If I have to spend $8000 on a new camera body this year it doesn't mean that I will bump my fees up to pay for it, same as when all my other camera bodies were done, I didn't drop my fee.
They factor in the cost of tools, equipment maintenance and upgrades into the hourly rate. That's why shops charge $75 an hour but mechanics get paid $20.

At the end of the day you still get money. I just like to have my budgets planned out so I can see what really is profit and what isn't. It also helps figure out your CDB so you can understand what jobs are worth taking.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back