pricing

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by Pjoseph, May 6, 2007.

1. Pjoseph

Pjoseph TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    i was asked by a friend to shoot his dance performance. while there the owner of the venue asked if i would be interested if she could use some of my shots for publicity for up coming shows.
    i was wondering if any one has any advise on how to charge her.

many thanks!

2. EOS_JD

EOS_JD TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    As a starter, shoot on an hourly basis. How many images do they want?

3. Pjoseph

Pjoseph TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I shot for about 2 hours. let's say she wants to use ten or fifteen images down the line.

4. EOS_JD

EOS_JD TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    OK you shot for 2 hours. Probably spent an hour or two editing these images, travelled to and from the venue probably another hour say. So there's 5 hours in total.

Even at $70 per hour that's $350
    I'd expect £150 - £200 GBP for a days shooting like this.
    I usually give the images I've edited and allow them to use these for the specific reason I shot them.... If they want to use again, then you can renegotiate their use.

5. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

Consider your experience when pricing anything but also do not let them rip you off. Just consider what you think your time is worth. She probably thinks she can get cheap images from you.

6. elsaspet

elsaspet TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Give the shots for credit. I do this quite a bit, and because of it, my images (with our studio name credited) is all over the internet and magazines. It's a great way to start branding.
    Just give it away. It will make you ten times the money in the longrun.

7. EOS_JD

EOS_JD TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i think when you start out the tendancy is to give everything away free. I know that I've done this for years. What happens though is that it becomes expected and you find yourself keeping in the rut of giving for free. It's only recently that I've come out of this and am starting to get a pricing strategy progressed (and a web site in the pipeline).

Once you are established I think giving the odd free image here and there in return for advertising is a great idea and as you say ytou'll benefit more in the long run but when starting out don't feel embarrassed asking for a fair pay in line with your experience. You don't want it costing you money! No pay isn't fair game in my book. - if you get something else out of it then fair enough.

I took some images for a mate of mine on Saturday night in exchange for him helping me create a web site (he's a web designer). So whilst I didn't get cash, I've saved in the costs of hiring him :)

Only you can decide.......

8. elsaspet

elsaspet TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    No No No, EOS. What does it cost you REALLY to pull a few great shots to give a venue. I do it all the time.
    In exchange my images are all over DBride, The Knot, etc. I have some real weddings going into the Knot. Do they pay? Heck no.
    But it's a two page ad. If I had to pay for that, it would cost me $12,000. What is worth more? A measly $50 bucks or a huge ad in a national publication?

9. Pjoseph

Pjoseph TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    thank you everyone for your input. it's much appreciated.
    i was thinking maybe $10 an image with a credit. she knows that i'm new at this, but this is also only going to be used (as far as i know) for some local publications.

10. EOS_JD

EOS_JD TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I see what you are saying but on this occassion the OP doesn't have the images lying around (unless I've misread). He needs to take the images therefore do unpaid work. I guess the images you are giving away have already been paid for :)? What you seem to be doing is picking some from a bank of images you have and saying sure take these.....

I know we're not talking about a huge amount of money here but the principal is that they pay for the images and if the publicise them, you get a credit. Sure if you are getting extra publication, do a deal with them. I do that regularly but it's still classed in my book as a payment

I spent about 5 hours on Saturday evening shooting a birthday party for my web designer mate who is now putting a web site togather for me. No money changing hands but we are each "paying" the other with time. Adds up to the same thing.

$10 per image is fine so long as they take that 15-20 images and you get something from it. Or less if you can do a deal for some advertising.