Prime Dying?

Is it easier to design and manufacture a faster zoom on a smaller format?

Yes, especially when price and size are not a big issue. Zooms that are faster than f/2 are quite common for 16 mm cameras. My standard lens for documentary for many years was the Angenieux 9.5 to 57 mm f/1.6*. If people were willing to have a large heavy lens costing tens of thousands of dollars on their 2/3" digital camera then they could have nice fast constant aperture zooms with amazing zoom ratios. Even with the 4/3 format, manufacturers could offer faster primes and zooms than are offered for full-frame cameras, but who would pay? You could fit Zeiss f/1.2 Master Prime cine lenses (6 focal lengths between 18 mm and 75 mm) to a 4/3 camera, and I'm sure that someone has already done that because it would be a very straightforward adaptation.

Best,
Helen

*It was f/1.6 at 9.5 mm and f/2.2 at 57 mm, then it was constant aperture at f/2.2 and stopped down from there.

...my guess would be that those lenses will most likely be primes. I'm thinking AF-S versions of the 35 f/2, 50mm f/1.4, and 85/1.4.
Interesting! I was literally about 6 hours away from ordering the 85mm F/1.4! I think that I will now wait a little while and see if they do indeed plan to release a new 85mm F/1.4 or not before making my purchase. Thanks!

BTW, Sw1tchFX. besides checking out Nikon's site each day, what is a good place that would het me know a little more info about the possibility of a newer 85mm prime coming out?

dpreview forums :lol: :lmao:

I really wouldn't bank on new lenses. There's nothing wrong with the old ones. In my experience on a pro or semi pro camera AF-S isn't that much faster than an AF motor. Seeing how the target market for primes would hardly be the D40 type mum and dad SLRs I doubt they would release new ones anytime soon.

Most reactions

Back