prime lens for D5000 ?

mingraham

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a nikon D5000 camera . I am looking to get a prime lens. what is a good lens to get on a budget.

For general photography: Nikon 35mm 1.8G DX lens

For portraiture: Nikon 50mm 1.8G

In many, if not most, portrait shooting situations a 50 mm lens (or focal length) is not a good focal length to use.

what wluld be a good focal length then?

what wluld be a good focal length then?
Your original question did not specifically mention the primary use, so are you now asking about portraiture?

Also; what is your proposed budget for this purchase?

For general photography: Nikon 35mm 1.8G DX lens

For portraiture: Nikon 50mm 1.8G
with your initial general question I also recommend the above.

the "optimal" (for most) focal length for portraiture is 85mm. But sometimes due to a DX camera (being different from a FX camera) 85mm is not optimal. Thus most are recommended the 50mm/1.8 (also because it's less expensive and easy to afford). You'll spend 3x for an 85mm versus a 50mm.

A crop DX camera may also have distance to subject issues of which a 50mm will be better versus an 85, or 105mm lens. But for simplicity, and low budget a 50mm/1.8 AF-S lens is a good choice.

I get confused with Dx lenses sometimes, is a Dx sense designed to counter the crop factor in a Dx camera or not. Is this correct,

35mm Dx on a Dx body = effective focal length 52, ish, mm

In many, if not most, portrait shooting situations a 50 mm lens (or focal length) is not a good focal length to use.
A 50mm is a good portrait lens even on full frame; it would be more of a full body portraits, or even 2-3 people, but thats perfectly ok.

However the question was about a D5000 which is Nikon DX, or APS-C, or crop sensor, or half frame, or ~24x16mm, or how you want to call it, instead of Nikon FX / full frame / small format / 35mm film / ~36x24mm. On this sensor, the 50mm is effectively the same as a 75mm lens on full frame.

And 85mm (or 105mm) is the classic portrait lens (on full frame).

Thus yes, the AF-S 50mm f1.8 is a good portrait lens on a D5000, and a very popular pick for DX cameras in general, because its so cheap.

In the same way, the AF-S 35mm f1.8 DX is a 53mm equivalent to full frame.

I would use it for portraiture and general use. I was looking to spend 150 to 200

If you get too close with a 35 on a DX, it distorts facial features. It's not a typical portrait lens but it works when you know the distortion area. When I shoot a person with it, I step up until I like it in the viewfinder, then take a large step back and crop in post. It works nice for people when you want to get a little more in the frame. The blurred backgrounds are super nice, so it isolates the subject well.

I prefer the 35 on my DX over the 50 because it looks right in the viewfinder most of the time and allows for a little more inside the frame. For casual portraits, it works great. 35 works well for landscape, closeup of flowers (12" focus distance), street shooting, parties in tight spaces. It is a wonderful lens on a DX camera, I use it often. Very sharp, nice color render, isolates subject well, wonderful bokeh. You can even adjust for distortion if you get to close to something and it looks weird.

Sent from my XT1254 using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Most reactions

New Topics

Back