Prime Nikon Lenses

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Kristie, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Kristie

Kristie TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    What are the Prime Nikon Lenses?

ALSO... I just want to make sure... Do all the different lenses for like D50/D70/D80/D200 etc all fit on all the different cameras?
    Like... If I bought a 18-55mm, would that fit on any Nikon Camera (SLR)?

2. dsp921

dsp921 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Go to the Nikon website, they have all their lenses listed. For good information on Nikon lenses try these sites:
    www.nikonians.org
    www.nikoncafe.com
    and for excellent reviews of Nikkor glass go here: http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_surv.html
    Bjørn has a lot of experience with Nikkor glass, I find his reviews to be the most accurate.

Yes, lenses will work across the range of Nikon's bodies. (I wouldn't by a 18-55, though....)

3. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
    By prime, do you mean "best", or do you mean "normal"? A 50mm is considered a normal lens, and is sometimes referred to as a "prime" lens, because it has a fixed focal length. Other "prime" lense focal lengths are 28mm, 35mm, 85mm, 135mm, 180mm, etc....

4. LWW

LWW TPF Noob!

Yes, a "prime" lens in photography means a lens of a fixed focal length...IOW anything that isn't a zoom lens.

They offer less flexibility than zooms but better optical quality all other things being equal. That being said the optical difference between a zoom and a prime in Nikkor glass is minimal at most.

Any Nikkor lens that is AI, AIS, of AF will fit any Nikon body. There are a handful of exceptions but they are megadollar exotic fisheyes and other stuff that is made from pure unobtainium.

Now the DG lens line will work on film bodies but not well as they won't change apertures and they will likely vignette. I don't know of any physical damage they would cause however. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Any of the AI, AIS, or AF film lenses will work on a digital body BUT the AI/AIS won't autofocus and only a couple have a CPU which allows them to talk to the meter. The AF lenses should work fine on a digicam in all instances.

LWW

5. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'd personally say that zooms are more flexible in focal length, but primes are more flexible in aperture, and therefore low-light situations.

6. airgunr

airgunr TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    All my Nikkors will work on both my old full manual FM2n and my full auto F5 EXCEPT the "G" series lenses. They will only work on the AF and new digital cameras. The "G" series will mount on the FM2n but I wouldn't be able to set the aperture.