Prime vs Zoom 28mm, 50mm, 85mm vs 24-70 2.8

Corner sharpness may not be too important for certain type of shots so your Tamron is perfectly a fine lens for that application. For example, subject in focus while background is blur. :D

well I have a 24, 50 and 85mm prime lenses - older AF-D variety. And they are great
But then I also have a 17-35, 35-70/2.8 & 80-200/2.8 which are fantastic too. And I love the convenience of my 24-85/2.8-4.0 AF-D lens

I think it depends upon the space available. I think Derrel said if indoors the primes are great due to their inconspicuous size. I can't see walking around a crowded party with a 80-200/2.8, and you can't get any smaller than the older 24, 50 mm and 85 lenses. But the convenience of a zoom is also welcomed. So for me .. it all depends.

It also varies if you are talking crop or full frame too.
But my 24-85 has become my "general goto" lens, then I'll vary from there dependent upon the situation.

I choose my primes over my 24-70mm if I can.

Although, sometimes it is pretty hard to beat the versatility of the 24-70mm...It's one of those "throw it on and do pretty much anything" lens. I have never been unsatisfied with images from my 24-70mm, it's just that I can go that extra distance with my primes. Especially my 35mm 1.4 and 85mm 1.4!

Some REALLY good personal observations, and suggestions, opinion from each and every poster in all 18 responses given above!!! Great thread everybody!!!

Some REALLY good personal observations, and suggestions, opinion from each and every poster in all 18 responses given above!!! Great thread everybody!!!
I have been enjoying reading this thread too.
Since I am still on honeymoon portion with my relationship with my new Nikon 24-70mm 2.8 I am still getting all googly eyes over it but I think in a month or two I will divide my photography between it and primes according to the specific location and specific needs .
It would be best if I will be able to afford both the primes and my new Nikon lens as I think unless you are gang-ho love and limit yourself to one system of lenses then there is enough space in my bag and heart to both approaches.
Sadly I don't have enough money in my pocket LOL

But who knows what will happened in the future ;)

Since I am still on honeymoon portion with my relationship with my new Nikon 24-70mm 2.8 I am still getting all googly eyes over it but I think in a month or two I will divide my photography between it and primes according to the specific location and specific needs .
It would be best if I will be able to afford both the primes and my new Nikon lens as I think unless you are gang-ho love and limit yourself to one system of lenses then there is enough space in my bag and heart to both approaches.

THIS is a critical concept: "still on honeymoon portion with my relationship with my new Nikon ______"

Somebody, I think one of the head honchos at Leitz (now Leica Camera) once said, "The only way to really get to know a lens is to shoot it for a year." How very,very true. On the internet, we often read these glowing reviews of this lens or that lens--often posted on day TWO of a new user's experience with that lens. They rave about how sharp it is, how it's good at this and that. But what really happens is that, over time, and many shooting situations, you start to see the weak areas, or the flaws, or the problem areas for a lens. A guy here recently bought a lens that shall remain nameless, and he's VERY happy with it. Well, yeah, no wonder. It is JANUARY, and he's in North America. I used to own the same lens.

Wait until July,August,and September, or until he takes the lens out to do some night-time cityscapes with bright street lamps. That particular zoom lens flares like a bastard when it's pointed in the direction of the a point light source, or the bright, summer sun. I used to own one, had to let it go. It's REALLY got a problem with diaphragm ghost images too. But he doesn't know that, yet. Because his honeymoon started in the winter, when the sun is low, and weak in the sky, and it's mostly cloudy outdoors. Again...after a YEAR of using the lens, he'll start to see the post-honeymoon pimples and nose hair and such.

I like my primes a whole bunch. I think they make for more well thought out and positioned photos. I've found my 85mm and my 50mm to be on my camera 90% of the time. My zooms are out for landscapes and action.

Once again it all comes down to what you are shooting. For the longest time I shot landscape, city scape and interiors. I only had the 14-24 on and Loved it..I found that many of my shots were at 14mm. I thought well why not get a 14mm prime then but, in this case I did not want to settle for just a 14mm prime because there was those occasions that I needed 24 and in-between.

With the lenses of today they are all pretty damn good. If you constantly pixel peep and look for differences you will probably find them at 100% but I have never ever printed at 100% crop. for the most part yes primes are supposed to be sharper but that also could be just your mind telling you it is because its suppose to be because thats what people say. There is a reason why the 24-70 is pricy and the 14-24 along with the 70-200..they are top quality lenses that deliver very sharp images when USED correctly. They also produce very nice bokeh…If you are a stickler and will sit and compare for hours then yeah you will eventually find things that you can point out..

If the 24-70 was a 4.5+ variable F lens then I with no doubt would NOT even consider it.. but because it is constant 2.8 I really do not see the set back it would give you vs 24 prime 35 prime 50 prime…one lens can do it all in that particular focal length with excellent results. IF you add the weight up of all the lens you would need to feel that focal range and stick them in your bag what would be heavier????
How much would you spend? how much more space would you need thus a bigger bag…This is just ONE way of looking at it and food for thought...

I still want them all…...:biggrin::clap:

THIS is a critical concept: "still on honeymoon portion with my relationship with my new Nikon ______"

Somebody, I think one of the head honchos at Leitz (now Leica Camera) once said, "The only way to really get to know a lens is to shoot it for a year." How very,very true. On the internet, we often read these glowing reviews of this lens or that lens--often posted on day TWO of a new user's experience with that lens. They rave about how sharp it is, how it's good at this and that. But what really happens is that, over time, and many shooting situations, you start to see the weak areas, or the flaws, or the problem areas for a lens. A guy here recently bought a lens that shall remain nameless, and he's VERY happy with it. Well, yeah, no wonder. It is JANUARY, and he's in North America. I used to own the same lens.

Wait until July,August,and September, or until he takes the lens out to do some night-time cityscapes with bright street lamps. That particular zoom lens flares like a bastard when it's pointed in the direction of the a point light source, or the bright, summer sun. I used to own one, had to let it go. It's REALLY got a problem with diaphragm ghost images too. But he doesn't know that, yet. Because his honeymoon started in the winter, when the sun is low, and weak in the sky, and it's mostly cloudy outdoors. Again...after a YEAR of using the lens, he'll start to see the post-honeymoon pimples and nose hair and such.

I had my share of getting all excited about items I bought thinking its the ONE item in my life I will never part from because its absolutely perfect!!!
Then a month or two passes and I found it isn't as perfect as I initially thought.
In time you learn to contain yourself from passing judgment about stuff you buy, take time to know it and getting the initial excitement pass.
This is the time where I learned I see the true nature of what I bought and only then I can pass judgment in a more balanced approached.

I adore my 28-70 f2.8 & 80-200 f2.8, but my 50mm f1.8d is my favorite and it was only $99.99!!!

I adore my 28-70 f2.8 & 80-200 f2.8, but my 50mm f1.8d is my favorite and it was only $99.99!!!
As much as you love your 1.8D I love my 1.4D even more-so there :mrgreen:

I like your 50mm 1.4D too, and my 50mm 1.8D but I prefer my 85mm/1.8D on my FF :)

I have the 24, 50 & 85 primes in addition to the 24-85/2.8-4 The zoom is soooooo handy if in a situation where things are moving around.

By buying AF-D lenses I've saved alot of $$$ and size & weight over the newer VR / AF-S lenses.

I like your 50mm 1.4D too, and my 50mm 1.8D but I prefer my 85mm/1.8D on my FF :)

I have the 24, 50 & 85 primes in addition to the 24-85/2.8-4 The zoom is soooooo handy if in a situation where things are moving around.

By buying AF-D lenses I've saved alot of $$$ and size & weight over the newer VR / AF-S lenses.
I never checked the Nikon 24mm 2.8D, after reading your comment I looked up some reviews and I was really impressed, other then its relatively slow aperture this is a very impressive and good lens.
And its going for so little money on ebay.

I have the 28 and 85G, and the 50 and 60D.

I also have two older zooms, the 35-70D and the 28-200D. I barely use them, but keep them around for my film camera, which I never use anymore either, lol.

The 35-70D is an interesting lens because it's also a macro. You have to manually turn it on to macro. The zoom on it is one of those push-pulls. It gives a very contrasty image and I quite like the way it renders color, especially outdoors.

But I use primes 99.9% of the time. This morning I went out shooting and brought the 28 and 60. The 28 for wider shots and the 60 for closer shots and just in case I needed macro.

Most reactions

Back