Print Exchange

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by oriecat, Apr 28, 2004.

?

What would you prefer for the print exchange?

1. Smaller groups, but a print from everyone, random groups

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Just one group, with a limited # of prints, so random prints

80.0%
  3. Something else, leave in reply

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Smaller groups, a print from everyone, subject matter groups

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Just one group, with a limited# of prints, random prints by subject

20.0%
  1. oriecat

oriecat work in progress

Question on the print exchange... let's hammer this out...

2. aggiezach

aggiezach Yup...

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Great Idea. I saw the other thread by Mark and I was hoping someone would offer to organize the whole thing. THANKS!

Would we have to make the prints ourselves or would one from a lab be acceptable? I would love to print my own but alas I just don't have the room for a darkroom in my new place :( Maybe one day...

3. oriecat

oriecat work in progress

Any photo quality print will be acceptable, home darkroom, digital darkroom, pro lab, mini lab...

4. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hey Orie. Thanks for putting that up. Got a question. What's the difference between

"Smaller groups, but a print from everyone, random groups"

and

"Just one group, with a limited # of prints, so random prints"

It seems like the end result is the same, except that in the first case there will be people who have exactly the same set. Each individual will get a random selection, though.

Hm.. I guess that makes enough of a difference that some may prefer one over the other if they want to talk to others about what they got. Is there anything else I'm missing?

5. oriecat

oriecat work in progress

I don't claim to know what I'm doing. :eek:

Smaller groups, but a print from everyone, random groups - for example, if 20 people want to play, then we break it down into 4 groups of 5, then in each group, you would get a copy of each person's pic. So yes, everyone would have the same set of prints. For a group of 5, you would need to send in 4 prints. The random groups part means no subject matter sectioning.

Just one group, with a limited # of prints, so random prints - everyone sends in the set # of prints, then gets a completely random selection back. No two the same!

I didn't add an option for one for everybody, did I?

6. oriecat

oriecat work in progress

And I can't edit the poll... I'm not even sure what I meant by that last option now that I read it again...

7. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't think we need to bother with the one for everyone, since it's going to be too expensive for most people.

I think your last two are the same as your first two, but with subjects limited by what people ask for.

Unless you really want to deal with the subject matter mess, I don't think it's a good idea. While this seems like no big deal, I know the people who have actually coordinated swaps I've been in the past have sometimes pulled their hair out because of all the unexpected things that pop up. I think for the first one, simpler is better: just random prints amongst one big group. That we we can simply vote on the number of prints and send them in. If it goes well, we can get fancy if we do another one.

8. oriecat

oriecat work in progress

I like your thinking, Mark! After I posted it, I thought about the groups thing, what if 7 people wanted to be in the landscape group, and 5 in the flower group, blah blah, then different groups need diff # of prints, etc... yeah messy...

9. drlynn

drlynn TPF Noob!

I agree completely, orie. You're doing this as a volunteer (thanks, btw :hug: ) so don't make it harder on yourself than it should be, at least this 1st time until you see exactly how big the headache is gonna be. :wink:

10. Jeff Canes

Jeff Canes No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I voted for #2, when do we start

11. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Of course anyone can form any exchange group they can find anyone else interested in: join a big one, join a small one, join one that is color only, join one that is street photography, one that is traditional darkroom, digital, IR, 10 prints, 4 prints, etc... And then they can join another one next week, or next month, or next year.

Actually, Terri and I have already set up a very small print exchange; as soon as I print it up I'm trading one of my prints for her "box cameras" image that she posted a while back. I think that trading art for art is a great thing to do on many levels.

Later I'd like to do a BW darkroom only exchange with everyone getting a print from everyone, but to get it all started I'm up for whatever you guys figure out.