Print Pricing

ddeerreekk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
An organization wants to purchase one of my photo's of the city to give to a guest speaker. They're looking for a 8x10 framed photo. This is only for one print and does not include any commercial rights.

Excluding the price of the frame, what would be a reasonable price to charge for this photo?

Also, should I put my signature on the photo in the corner, or is is customary to leave it blank.

Thanks,
Derek

I would sign it in the bottom corner or on the reverse. you may also want to include your full name and contact information on the reverse as well in case someone likes what they see and would like more ;) As to price, only you can tell what it is worth. I imagine that they have some price range in mind already, especially in these times of tight budgets, so you might ask them what they were considering paying. It would be bad to price yourself out of the sale...

- Randy

I would sign it in the bottom corner or on the reverse. you may also want to include your full name and contact information on the reverse as well in case someone likes what they see and would like more ;) As to price, only you can tell what it is worth. I imagine that they have some price range in mind already, especially in these times of tight budgets, so you might ask them what they were considering paying. It would be bad to price yourself out of the sale...

- Randy

Its also a bad idea to let them set the price. Phone a studio out of your local area and ask how much they would charge for similar, if it were me I'd tell you, its about forty quid here, 70-80$. H

That depends, at least in my experience. Sure, given the opportunity there certainly are people who would want to pay $5 for a print that would otherwise sell for a lot more, but if he's dealing with someone like a non-profit they may well have a budget of a lot less than 80 bucks. I've seen people price themselves out of a deal before in situations like that - if you've got a price that you normally sell prints for go with that, otherwise use your best judgment negotiating a fair price. If you feel like they are trying to take advantage of you, tell them sorry, but that's my best price. If they are professional they will either agree or say they just don't have that kind of budget. If they are not you don't want to get involved with them anyway.

- Randy

While you've figured it out now, here are some quick references for future consideration:

How to price your photographs

& another on

How to price your photographs

"Also, should I put my signature on the photo in the corner, or is is customary to leave it blank."

I know a number of photographers include a small image of their name or website URL in the corner. I would just make sure it isn't obtrusive.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back