Print vs. Screen images

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by davebmck, Jul 30, 2008.

1. davebmck

davebmck TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I haven't done a lot of printing of my digital images so I don't have a lot of experience in this area. I am talking about matching the printed colors and brightness to the screen images.

In prints I have made on my HP printer, the colors seem a bit "muddier" than the screen image. I just had an online printer print sample prints for me and I am getting pretty much the same result. The printed images seem muddier, not as bright as the screen images, and the whites are not as white. The prints look great, just somewhat different than my screen images.

I have calibrated my monitor with a Spyder3pro calibrator, the color temperature of the monitor is set to 6500 and the gamma is 2.2. I have tried adjusting the brightness of the screen as well. On the screen images, I have tried adjusting the exposure and white balance, but nothing I do matches the print images.

Do others have similar results? Is this just the difference in viewing a backlit LCD vs a print that uses reflected light, or is is due the the difference in gamut between RGB and the printer color space? Or is there some other setting I am missing?

2. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I am not certain, but cannot you forward your calibration data to your online printing company of choice? They might be able to do more to a print with that information

3. davebmck

davebmck TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    They suggest color temperature of 6500 and gamma of 2.2, which I am using. Do you mean the actual ICC profile for the motor after calibration? Where do you find that anyway?

4. PNA

PNA TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I had the same problem until I realized that my color spaces were not compatible; camera, monitor, printer driver setup and scanner. I have everything set to Adobe RGB (1998). Hope this helps

5. davebmck

davebmck TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have all set to Adobe RGB (1998). The online printer requires you to save the file with the inbedded color space.

6. PNA

PNA TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Are you printing through Photoshop???

7. davebmck

davebmck TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes, when I print at home I print through Photoshop. I set up for Application Manages Colorspace (or something similar to that). I'm not sure what the professional online printer is using.

8. PNA

PNA TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    In cs2.....open "print with preview"; color management: Adobe RGB 1998;" let photoshop determine colors".

These settings work for me..............good luck.

9. davebmck

davebmck TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I will try tomorrow night. Thanks.

10. davebmck

davebmck TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    OK, I did some reading today and found one of my problems. I was viewing my photos with lighting that was a color temperature of 3000. I found a day light florescent rated at 5500K and that made a big difference. Now if I open the picture in camera raw and adjust the color temperature from 5500 to about 6500-6900 and give it a little saturation, the screen matches pretty close to the print I got from the online source. The one I printed on my HP C8150 has more of a reddish cast to it. Does this mean I should adjust my monitor color temperature setting and recalibrate?

11. PNA

PNA TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Pass......

12. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    No it means if you are going to be hardproofing you need to buy a dedicated light box to do so.

Colour temperature means nothing individually because your eyes adjust to them. Don't believe me, dim the lights and turn the red channel all the way down. Use your computer for half an hour and then look at a white sheet of paper and observe how green it is.

You need to match your lighting to the monitor. Doing it the other way is a recepie for poor colour management if you have an LCD monitor as you would need to compress some colour channels unless you have a nice screen with an internal colour lookup table.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/soft-proofing.shtml
    Somewhere on the luminous landscape was an article on hardproofing and colour management but I can't find it. The soft proofing article is a step in the right direction though.