Print vs. Slide

duelinthedeep said:
its quite funny. i dont know how to meter properly. how do you meter properly?if you dont mind me asking.

and the whole note thing.....photogs keep telling me to track all my exposures(write it down in a log book). i'm not sure if that is what you're talking about but how does that work? i dont really know how to do that..
Basically you need to get an understanding what shutter speed, aperture and ISO is. Then you need to understand the algorithm of the camera used to determined those values to achieve a proper exposure.

Those are rudimentary basics of photography and a lot of people are challenged by them. So you should take your time, especially if you're not mathematically inclined.

I sais previously follow the money... the buyer says use slides... Here is Arizona Highways criteria

What constitutes the highest quality?
according to http://www.arizonahighways.com/page.cfm?name=About_Submissions_Photo

Thank you for your inquiry regarding photography in Arizona Highways. Although the magazine and our Related Products (calendars, books, cards, etc.) are all planned many months ahead, we welcome photographic submissions of original transparencies and 35mm slides that exhibit the high quality that we demand from our professional contributors.

In order to achieve the high-quality reproductions in our publications, we prefer large format (4x5) transparencies, especially for the large scenic landscapes that we are famous for. We will use medium format and 35mm transparencies that display exceptional quality and content. Some subjects such as wildlife and people are best suited to 35mm, but in order to achieve high-quality reproduction they must be shot on fine-grained color slide film (100 ISO or slower). NO PRINTS, NEGATIVES, DIGITAL-CAPTURE PHOTOGRAPHS, OR DUPLICATE TRANSPARENCIES WILL BE ACCEPTED FOR REVIEW BY THE PHOTOGRAPHY EDITORS. Edit your photos carefully before submitting. More is not necessarily better. Submit only the images that are as good as or better than those you see in our magazine, books, and calendars. Midday light is the worst for photography of any kind, but especially bad for landscape photography. Try to be original, and avoid visual clichés like saguaro silhouettes at sunset.

sobolik said:
I sais previously follow the money... the buyer says use slides...
While I agree that slide film has many good points, this isn't necessarily a demonstration that it's better than negative film. You can't get good reproductions from prints and negs are a pain to review. Slides give buyers from magazines a convenient and quick way to review work and are great sources from which to obtain data all in one package. It doesn't mean that slides are inherently better than negs as simply a data source.

markc, markc, markc. It is quality. I loved reading replies to my AHMag post elsewhere. All kinds of comments about; it cant be quality, AH is lying, they just don't want to be troubled looking at so many pics. blah blah blah. Why can't people just admit that there is various levels of quality within the various photography technologies?

I might add that a lot of professional portrait photography is done using special portrait film, which is print, not slide. However, nothing beats certain slide films for popping colors (i.e. Velvia or EG). I can't speak for portrait work using slide film, since I do all of my portrait work in B&W.

There is, but it's post hoc, ergo proctor hoc ("after it, therefore because of it"). You are assuming that the one is the result of the other. Quality may very well be a factor, but the reasons I mentioned are the ones I've usually seen given, so that's what I'm going with. The statement you linked to only said they want slides of high quality, not that they want slides over film because it's of higher quality. The 4x5 vs. 35mm is a much, much bigger factor, and they most likely were refering to that.

But I don't know for sure, and my point was that you can't either, based on that linked statement. I'm not saying that slides aren't better, only that the link you posted did nothing to settle the matter. I tried to be polite about it, but that seemed to do little good.

What is Arizona Highways? What's the circulation?

Can it compare to Sports National? National Geographic? They accept digital and one would be hard pressed to call the images in these mags "low quality"

Bill, I am in need of more advice than you already gave me.

I recently acquired the lamp conversion kit for my Leitz Pradovit n24.
The kit consists of two metal bracket parts that come together with the porcelan socket in between. No problem. The two holes in the bottom part seem to match the holes for the old lamp fitting well.

But without doing anything else the filament if the new lamp will be half an inch or so lower than the filament of the old lamp. In other words way below the center of the lenses.

Should there be another part, some kind of bracket, in between to raise it? Or can the bracket that holds the lampfitting be raised?

Since I read that you passed a Leitz Pradovit n24 with a conversion kit to your daughter you may be able to tell me what is missing to raise the filament to the same level as the old tube.

I am at a loss. Can you help me?

Thank you very much

Most reactions

New Topics

Back