Printer/Paper Question

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by mGeller, Apr 6, 2009.

1. mGeller

mGeller TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I recently bought a pack of Epson Ultra Premium Presentation Paper[Matte 11.7x16.5]. I was planning on printing this though an Epson Stylus Photo 1270, and after I had bought the paper I couldn't find anything saying that the paper is compatible with the printer. I know that the printer can print larger than the size of the paper, so size isn't an issue.

I am afraid to test the paper only to find out that it does not print well with the printer and I am stuck with $40 of paper that is useless to me.

Any suggestions/experiences?

2. gryphonslair99

gryphonslair99 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
  3. mGeller

mGeller TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I should be able to return it. While I have a chance of getting this right for once, does anyone have any suggestions on what paper I should get? I found the list of what I would work with the printer, but I am not quite sure what to get?

I am a little new to home printing....

4. genie

genie TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Buy semi-gloss or matte, both look nice, matte is probably nicer. Aim for 65-75 lb. paper (however, I use 76 and it's fabulous). Anything less than that will be too flimsy. Epson paper will likely work best with an Epson printer, but only because they can't guarantee the results when you use another brand. Be sure to read the package thoroughly before purchasing. If possible, see if there are smaller packages of the same paper, so you can try it without having to blow 40$ on another paper failure :)

5. gryphonslair99

Photos OK to edit
    Personally I like Ilford and Hahnemuhle

Both sites have a wide selection of papers and both sites indicate what types of printers and inks the different papers can be used with. They are more expensive and I only use them for final prints that I wish to display.

6. mGeller

mGeller TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    An update for anyone who may have the same question in the future:

I went to my local camera shop and they said that the paper would work beautifully with the printer, and just to try it. I did a few prints and they turned out great.

7. photogincollege

photogincollege TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Congrats on not wasting 40 bucks on useless paper :D. Just teasin, but I'm glad all worked out well, and epson paper is amazing (i prefer the luster paper) but the matte is very nice as well.

8. LokiZ

LokiZ TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Glad you could use the paper you bought. I agree with gryphonslair... I am a big fan of ilford my self. I am not a fan of glossy paper at all and very picky when it comes to matte finishes. Ilford's pearl finish is top shelf.

9. gryphonslair99

Photos OK to edit

Glad it worked out. Let the prints dry at least 24 to 48 hours before you do anything with them. One of the compatibility problems with some inks and paper isn't that the ink won't go on, but it does not adhere to the paper well and dry well.

10. mGeller

mGeller TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    LokiZ - The finish on this paper is seemingly entirely matte. I have not been able to get any sort of reflection out of it whatsoever. I have actually received the question "Are you just printing on card stock?" from the uninformed far too many times for my liking, but I love the paper.