printers

lozzperson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hey i was thinking of getting a new printer, one of those photo ones. i just wondered if they are worth it, cuz up till now i take the memorycard from my digital camera in to jessops to be printed. so i just wondered if the quality on these printers is good enough to print photos off yourself and can anyone reccomend a good printer i was looking at an Epson RX62. its a bit expensive though.

Well, NOT buying a printer sorta force you to choose what you want to print carefully; if you have a printer you tend to print every picutre you think you want to print. Also, you have to consider that you need to have specialized printing paper i.e photo-quality paper, which is means $$$. And printer maintanence and print catridges...

However, not having a printer means that you often have to wait to get the pics you want to show off. If you think you can afford it, go for a printer all right. :drool:

As for printer brands, no comment - ask the experts. Most of them are either proffesional photographers or have nearly enough experience as a pro. They must have done their fair-share of printing - they definitely have their recommendations. But as long as you stay with branded names (Canon, Epson...) you're going to be all right in my opinion.

I've been very happy with my Epson stylus 825, which has long been replaced with a newer model with more colors and seperate color tanks. I only paid 80 bucks for it at a computer show a few years ago. I wouldn't recommend anything other than Epson brand paper with their printers. I generally premium Glossy photo paper but larger prints are done on Matte Paper Heavyweight. I've had good and bad luck with aftermarket ink... I have noticed more clogged nozzles with non-epson ink.

I have not found the supplies too expensive... Ink will depend on the printer you choose ( ol'single color tank or sep color tanks ). 100 pack premium glossy 4x6 sheets is about 17 bucks. Check out local stores and decide for yourself.

However.. I still go to the photo lab for high quality prints.

Most reactions

Back