printers

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by lozzperson, May 10, 2005.

1. lozzperson

lozzperson TPF Noob!

hey i was thinking of getting a new printer, one of those photo ones. i just wondered if they are worth it, cuz up till now i take the memorycard from my digital camera in to jessops to be printed. so i just wondered if the quality on these printers is good enough to print photos off yourself and can anyone reccomend a good printer i was looking at an Epson RX62. its a bit expensive though.

2. amoki

amoki TPF Noob!

Well, NOT buying a printer sorta force you to choose what you want to print carefully; if you have a printer you tend to print every picutre you think you want to print. Also, you have to consider that you need to have specialized printing paper i.e photo-quality paper, which is means $$$. And printer maintanence and print catridges...

However, not having a printer means that you often have to wait to get the pics you want to show off. If you think you can afford it, go for a printer all right. :drool:

As for printer brands, no comment - ask the experts. Most of them are either proffesional photographers or have nearly enough experience as a pro. They must have done their fair-share of printing - they definitely have their recommendations. But as long as you stay with branded names (Canon, Epson...) you're going to be all right in my opinion.

3. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I've been very happy with my Epson stylus 825, which has long been replaced with a newer model with more colors and seperate color tanks. I only paid 80 bucks for it at a computer show a few years ago. I wouldn't recommend anything other than Epson brand paper with their printers. I generally premium Glossy photo paper but larger prints are done on Matte Paper Heavyweight. I've had good and bad luck with aftermarket ink... I have noticed more clogged nozzles with non-epson ink.

I have not found the supplies too expensive... Ink will depend on the printer you choose ( ol'single color tank or sep color tanks ). 100 pack premium glossy 4x6 sheets is about 17 bucks. Check out local stores and decide for yourself.

However.. I still go to the photo lab for high quality prints.