printers

Peter

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am considering buying a new printer. One which doubles as scanner etc;
Are they worth the money and do they work 100% ?

IMHO I find that any product which sells itself on an "I can do everything" basis will in fact do all it says but each feature will be compromised. Take a zoom lens as an example. My policy is always to buy the best dedicated equipment you can afford at the time.

Just my opinion.

I just recently bought a Printer based on 2 features that I liked:

1) It can connect to a LPT port or a USB port (I liked the LPT feature - many new printers only do USB now).

2) The paper feeds from a drawer that allows the paper to sit flat (it's not fed from the back using the gravity assisted feed method that most inkjets use now)

I stilll like those features, but there are 3 features that I wish the printer had that it doesn't:

1) The photo cartridge goes where the black & white cartridge goes, so when I want to print some pictures I have to take the B&W cartridge out and put the Photo cartridge in, then swap them back when I'm done. I'm pretty sure that some printers allow you to have all 3 cartridges in at once so no swapping is required.

2) There is no "one-off" paper feed slot. I have to take the paper out of the paper feeder to put picture paper in. I know that many printers have a second paper feed slot that allows you to feed single sheets for things like photos and envelopes.

3) The maximum paper size is 8.5 inches wide. I would like to have the option to print on some of the larger photo paper sizes available.

I know all of this stuff is not exactly what you asked about, but I thought I would share some of the things I have been kicking myself about, so maybe you won't.

One last thing - I have seen some advertisements for printers specificly targeting photo printing and they have something like 6 color wells. If you will be looking for better than normal photo printing, you might want to research that.

Good luck!

I definitely agree with ramjamband. You will get better results from your printer and your scanner if you buy a dedicated printer and a dedicated scanner than if you buy a combo unit.

Most reactions

Back