Printing advice

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by motherlee, Mar 19, 2008.

1. motherlee

motherlee TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I have done a few portraits sessions and people have requested some prints. I had some printed, but the colour was not very impressive (poor printing).

Any advice on where to get prints done...things to look for when selecting a print company...and how much to expect to pay for quality...would be greatly appreciated.

All other advice welcome... Thanks!

2. astrostu

astrostu Guest

There are a few of these threads floating around, but I can't find them at the moment. An online source that a lot of people here recommend is mpix.com. Personally I really like the local Costco, but I've gotten yelled at for that here.

What to watch out for are the local cookie-cutter "labs" like Wolf/Ritz camera, Wal*Mart/Walgreens, etc. that throw your pictures through auto-"correction" software and don't know how to operate their machines.

3. lthienes

lthienes TPF Noob!

MPIX.com, Professional Paper, Great Color, Great Prices.

4. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Firstly, is your monitor calibrated? If you aren't sure that your monitor is accurate, how can you be sure that it's a problem with the printer?

Sometimes you have to try out a few different labs to find a good one. The better ones will work with you to help you get good results, whether they reprint when you are not happy or take it a step further. There is a pro lab here that will send a technician to your home/office to make sure that you are calibrated and ready to go.

5. firebird1984

firebird1984 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I personally have tried 4 different online labs and found 2 that I really like mpix.com and imagekind.com. Mpix has really fast turnaround and the quality is really good. Imagekind takes a little while longer unless you specify expedited service but the control and print sizes they offer are amazingly priced. I can get a print 40x60 on a matte paper for $60 and the quality is magnificent. You can choose the paper you want printed on with matte as the cheapest to fine art papers and museum quality papers to canvas. The prices significantly go up with the higher quality papers but if your client wants to pay for quality its worth it. I hope I have been of help to you and if you have any questions let me know.

Brent McWhirter

6. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Keep in mind that the OP is in Canada...and would probably prefer to use a Canadian lab because cross border shipping is more than it should be.

7. Rusty105

Rusty105 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    As far as Cosco goes...
    The ones local to me print on Fuji Crystal Archive Paper, and the printer icc profiles are availably from Dry Creek Photo, not sure why this is a bad thing. Please enlighten.

8. pristinephoto

pristinephoto TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I use Mpix and I haven't had any problems with them at all and they have fast shipping :)