printing an image

foned

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I had a request from a friend to have one of my pictures blown up, i've never done this. Im worried about quality and what not, I still have the raw (i hope) however when i saved it to jpeg i didnt reduce the quality.

anyway, any advice would be appreciated. heres the image.

3333577869_fbf3ef93b0.jpg

IMG_1258 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Well, don't stress. You can print from a JPEG just fine. Is the image heavily cropped? What are you blowing it up to? Give us some more info....

Personally, I shoot in RAW and then if an image is something I want to print I save it as a lossless TIFF (which is significantly bigger than the RAW... 28+ mb) and resave it as a JPEG to upload to flickr or whatever.

When printing an 8x10 I can see the difference. Or maybe it's my imagination. You don't have the original anymore?

No problems printing jpg, this is what most print labs do anyways

yea i just found the raw, i guess i was wondering what size i could blow it up to without any quality loss? i shoot with a digital rebel xt, 8mp, i shoot in raw.

I'm just about to get some 12x18 prints from my 6MP D50, I imagine you should be able to get good 20x16, although that might be pushing it ever so slightly.

yea i just found the raw, i guess i was wondering what size i could blow it up to without any quality loss? i shoot with a digital rebel xt, 8mp, i shoot in raw.
If your image file is say, 3888 x 2592 pixels you could have a print made 38.88 inches x 25.92 inches at 100ppi. Or divide the pixels by 2, and you could have a 19.44 inch x 12.96 inch print at 200 ppi. divide the pixels by 3 and you get the dimemsions for a print at 300 ppi.

A lab like Mpix won't print at less than 100 ppi.

Most reactions

Back