Printing and selling my photos

Archive quality home printers, total control on the images, capabilities of printing almost any size images, high quality heavy weight paper. 13x19 prints that are selling for $750 each, doesn't take long to pay for all the supplies and printer. It all comes down to volume and how much control you want over the printing.

I started printing all of my own prints about a year ago. It's more expensive but having control of the final image is worth it!
I have an Epson 7890 and it can print up to 24 inches wide. I have only had to get a larger print once since I got this printer. I print on Moab luster paper and their new slick rock metallic. The prints are gorgeous and my clients love them.

Printing on my own did take some work though! I had to get my monitor and printer color calibrated and learn the little nuances of my printer to get consistent results. It was definitely worth the work and learning curve.

I noticed if I print using the Adobe RGB profile through the printer then I get the exact image color from my monitor. IF I try to use the profiles from Epson I get more of a purple in the blues. IT's just the blues (which most of my photos have sky in them) and was irritating.

I understand your grief with the setup it took me almost a year to get it to where I was happy but WOW are the prints amazing. I still print on epson papers though I have not ventured out to any other brands yet but I might look into what you mentioned.

you may choose photo paper with HP and EPSON printer.

Many pros think it is in fact wrong to 'get a nice home printer' and do your own printing, for a number of reasons.

Here are a few of them:

Limited print sizes.
Limited home type printer resolutions.
Limited print types.
Limited print products.
Expensive inks/dyes.
Have to stock different sizes, grades, types of paper.
2 printers needed (1 for backup).
Time more productively spent doing business tasks or photography.

I do all my own printing at home and have always been happy with the results. I don't do a great number of prints though, so my costs aren't that high. I usually print and frame 13x19's. The 8x10's I do print for sale are on high quality paper as well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back