Printing large from a jpg

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by liquidmetaljesus, Aug 6, 2006.

1. liquidmetaljesus

liquidmetaljesus TPF Noob!

I just had a hard drive crash,erasing all my .psd files. I'm lookin to get a large format printer, something in the 13x19 range. Would printing from a jpg yield noticibly worse results than from a much high resolution .psd/.tif? Thanks.

2. darin3200

darin3200 TPF Noob!

Depends. What resolution were these and what compression did you use on the jpgs? More compression equals less quality

3. liquidmetaljesus

the .jpg resolution is typically between 11-1300x700x1000 in jpg format, where as the .psd resolution is 3-4,000x2-3000. I would typically resize the photo in photoshop to about 30% or so, then save as, save as a jpg, and the options I used are image quality 8-9, with the ticker about 75% up on the small file/large file line, Baseling (standard) selected and at 56.6kbps, if any of that makes sense

4. darin3200

darin3200 TPF Noob!

The quality will probably be to low, just because 13x19 is quite big. You could always just try really high quality interpolation.

5. liquidmetaljesus

Would 11x14 be okay for those resolutions of jpgs?

And would the higher resolutions be okay for 13x19 anyway, really? None of my equipment can scan higher than that,, so itd be pointless to spend too much money on something I cant use.

6. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Also the typical viewing distance of the picture to displayed is a major factor as well. There was a large print on display at a camera store several years ago when digital was relatively new. It was displayed high above eye level over a display case. The digital print looked beautiful up there. Up close... it didn't looks so nice but the print was large enough that the proper viewing distance was pretty far anyways.